THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    .338 Remington Ultra Mag ~Vs.~ .338 Lapua Mag

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Remington Ultra Mag ~Vs.~ .338 Lapua Mag
 Login/Join

<schapman43>
posted
Are there any advantages of the .338 Lapua over the .338 Remington Ultra Mag? I was looking at picking up a Remington 700 Sendero SF in .338RUM but dont know much about the cartridge. On the other hand I have heard lots about the Lapua.

Thanks
Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both have longer barrels than the 24" .338WM, and both should be at least 200 fps faster. The .338 Lapua was designed as a long range sniper or military cartridge. Brass for it is expensive, and you should be able to buy it from MidWay, Cabela's, and other stores, but you won't find it in the average ammo store in town. If you can afford the extra cost for brass, perhaps about $1,00 per case, then it should not be a problem. The .338RUM is pretty close in power to the .338 Lapua. Both use the same .33 bullets, which are readily available in the US, from 160 grains all the way to 300 grains. The local store may not have .338 Lapua ammo, but you should be able to find .338RUM factory ammo.

Factory ammo is loaded mild, but the following data may give you an idea of the ballistics for both:

.338 Lapua, Dakota ammo, 300-grain BTHP bullet. Sighted +1.7" at 100 yards:
Muzzle = 2800 fps
2661 fps, 100 yards (drop +1.7" at 100 yards)
2564 fps, 200 yards (0.0" at 200 yards)
2451 fps, 300 yards (-7" at 300 yards)
2341 fps, 400 yard (-19.7" at 400 yards)
2233 fps, 500 yards (-38.8" at 500 yards)

.338RUM with a 250-grain bullet, Remington factory ammo, sighted at +1.7" 100 yards:
Muzzle = 2860 fps
2647 fps, 100 yards
2443 fps, 200 yards
2249 fps, 300 yards
2064 fps, 400 yards
1887 fps, 500 yards

Bullet drop for both will be similar, but the Dakota 300 grainer listed above flies better than the 250 grainer from the Remington ammo.

There may be some advantages with the .338 Lapua for long range shooting, but for hunting I don't think there is much difference. There are a couple of .338's that are close to these two, and those are the .330 Dakota, and .340 Weatherby.

But .33 versions are numerous, including the Lazzeroni .338, Weatherby's .338-378, and a few more .338's including the .338-404. Saeed has reloading data for the .338-404 in this site. This is a wildcat, and it sounds like it is pretty close to the .338 RUM.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Just get a .338 Win. Mag. and forget it!

AD

<schapman43>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I went and dropped some cash on the .338 RUM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Allen day: I am having a great time with my .338WM in Alaska. Next one? Another one like it, of course!

schapman43: Congratulations on your new rifle. Keep in mind that it is a super .338, so I would first get a Past recoil pad to wear over my shirt if I was you. You bet the .338RUM has enough power to drop any game in the US "right now," but it is best to get used to the recoil first. A "Decelerator" rifle butt pad is a good idea, and also a Past recoil pad to be wore over your shoulder. But hunting with it should not be much of a problem, since for some reason we tend to forget about recoil when firing on game.

<allen day>
posted
Ray, I always appreciate your enthusiasm for the .338 Winchester cartridge! I've hunted with it on and off since about 1980 (mostly for elk), and to me it's one of the all-time greats - sort of like a big .30-06, which is no faint praise! I'm amazed at how many of my friends have used the .338 widely and for a very long time: much longer than it's been popular, that's for darned sure!

I've also notice that you have an interest in Echols custom rifles. I have one coming from D'Arcy (we've been friends for a long time) in .338 Winchester and I'll get you a few photos when it's complete.

AD

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ray, ditto Allen's comments...

One local sporting good's store (Bob Ward's) put their inventory of M700 Ultra Mag's on sale a couple of weeks ago... any stainless version (7mm, 300, 338) for $499 including four boxes of ammo... they didn't sell one! I was in the store yesterday and was told they'll be trying this sale again next week.

Most of the folks around here have figured out the UM's are too much of a good thing unless they're heavy and/or braked... that, however, defeats their purpose as a reasonable hunting weapon. Also, as all the Taliban are in Afghanistan, sniping has a very limited appeal in these parts!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read a few articles about D'Arcy's work, and I have also heard the comments from hunters who use his guns. All that has lead me to believe, that soon enough it will be very difficult to buy one of his guns unless one weights quite a long time. The quality of his work is becoming legendary, but what I like the most about his rifles is that he is primarily interested in "reliability" from hunting rifles, while looks are secondary.

The Ruger .338WM I have used for the past eight years has been very reliable, as well as the Leupold Vary-X III. It also shoots any .33 bullet accurately enough, and has provided me with several one-shot kill of moose. The bullets I have used so far are 230-grain FS, and 250-grain Nosler Partition. I will probably try Federal HE ammo with 225-grain TBBC bullets this year to see how they work on moose, but I still haven't tried my own handloads with 275-grain Swift A-Frame bullets. This hand loaded ammo will probably be used for bears whenever I decide to accompany my hunting partners.

I can't afford one of D'Arcy's rifles, but at least I can dream about it. But I wonder how long it will take for the price of his "Classic" to go up over $7,000?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I'm so late on this one I would have loved to gotten in on this when it was warm. I too think the world of the 338 Win Mag. but I have a 338 RUM and will not part with it. 92.0 grains of R-22 behind a 200 grain Ballistic Tip @3200 and change will shoot l 1/2" at 200 yes 200 yards and the heavier bullets I have tried show the same ability to shoot one on top of the other. I'm not sure the ballistic comparison was 100% fair as the Lapua was with a 300 grain BTHP and the RUM a semi-pointed flat base. But hey, you have the RUM now and I'm happy for you I hope you got the Sendero, when I went looking for mine it was the only one around I'm very,VERY pleased I purchased it. For brass try midsouthshooterssupply.com 100 rounds for about$44.00. Good Shooting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<kidcoltoutlaw>
posted
so has anybody shot the .338 RUM at longer ranges.like 600 plus.is the sendero accurate and worth the money.anybody heard about the chambers being out of spec. might just be a rumor i dont know,thanks,keith

<bigcountry>
posted
Bob Wards sold two I know of for fact. One 7mmRUM for me and another 7mm for my friend in Bozeman. Haven't got it yet. But can't wait to compare to my 300RUM. And another guy on another page said he was running down to bozeman to pick one up also. The 7mmRUM sound pretty popular to me.

Good thing about .338 Lapua, is if you can afford the brass from Lapua, its fine brass. Neat round. Might pick up one one day if I get bored with the .338 RUM.

<Guy>
posted
kieth, I have a Sendero in 338 RUM and it is extremely accurate. We shoot out to 1100 yards and it has no problem consistantly shooting moa out there, with the 300 Sierra MK. Mine is a great shooter it just kicks hard for a target rifle. If you do a search you can find some data people have posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking to purchase an AR 30M in .338 Lapua Mag when they are finally shipping first orders. I am happy to hear people are getting good results from there .338 rums & lapuas. I hope to use my .338 for 500 yard open plains pig shooting. I am thinking of using the 250 gr sierra game king.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this calibar kicks too much for a target rifle maybe you sh [Big Grin] ould get a muzzle brake. Just my opinion.

[ 08-14-2002, 19:09: Message edited by: Steve Hanson ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lapua has better brass. That's it. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Both calibers requires that you hold on to the gun [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I don't like that Remington brass are of poor quality. Lapua brass is made by NORMA and Lapua. I havebeen an imp on the Lapua to get larger capacity. I would opt for the Lapua

Cheers
JOHAN

[ 08-14-2002, 20:30: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Heya Steve H... I never asked (or can't remember) but do you brake any of your Ultra's?

Brad

[ 08-15-2002, 03:05: Message edited by: Brad ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, you have and I don't. Glad you asked anyway. Steve

<schapman43>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Guy:
kieth, I have a Sendero in 338 RUM and it is extremely accurate. We shoot out to 1100 yards and it has no problem consistantly shooting moa out there, with the 300 Sierra MK. Mine is a great shooter it just kicks hard for a target rifle. If you do a search you can find some data people have posted.

What is your load for the 300's?

<Guy>
posted
Scott, I have two loads for the 300 MK's in my rifle. Both loads use R/P cases, Fed 215 GM primers and 89.0 grains of H1000 or Reloader 25. Velocity is the same at approx. 2630 fps for both loads. Start 5-7 grains below and work up [Smile]

Just a thought; my two lots of H1000 and Reloader 25 seem to be close in burning rate. Other lots of these two powders probably won't be this close.

[ 08-26-2002, 16:30: Message edited by: Guy ]

<schapman43>
posted
Thanks for all the info guys!