New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Silencers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Silencers are legal in CT for hunting. While ear protection is a good idea if that's the only concern the silencer will reduce the noise that others hear as well.

On the other hand silencers require that the gun/device be registered with the Feds and Police. This is just not a comfortable feeling for me although I have nothing to hide.

There are class 111 dealers here who do a brisk business I am told. Some are put on say a Ruger 10-22 and used for backyard hunting..

I don't have any silencers and don't use hearing protection in the field either. If I fired more than one shot at a time I would I suppose.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Yes a good one on a 06 well work just find you well still have the bullet crack. But the muzzle blast well be cut way down. To bad they are illegal here in the states way to many people have hearing loss because of this dump rule.

Suppressors aren't illegal in the United States. More states allow their ownership than states that don't.

If you're talking about using them for hunting, yes, they are banned in MOST states for hunting. The reasons are pretty simple.

If you don't want to damage your ears, buy a high quality set of electronic ear protectors. I have a Plextor set-up that increases my directional hearing while protecting it from gun fire. Let's not mention the hearing protection will be FAR less expensive than a rifle suppressor! You will pay $800+ for a decent rifle suppressor plus a $200 tax to the Fed's just to own it.

Tim

Posts: 601 | Location: USMC | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I had heard of the bullet's crack still being audible, but that is nothing to worry about...
I don't understand why exactly silencers are illegal, as a .22 is the most popular poacher's weapon I know of, and it is pretty darn quiet...
Does anyone know exactly how much weight the silencer will add in such a big model..2lbs?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Browse around here and you'll find lots of silencer info: http://guns.connect.fi/gow/

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have use a better word restricted is more like it find a class 3 dealer have your finger prints taken pay your 200 dollars ect. Yes you can wear ear protection and I do I use electronic ones also I have peltors and a set of remingtons. The price is only high because of the regulations and restrictions. One could make a decent supressor for very little money. ----------------------------------- THAT SAID A WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE AND WILL SUFFER HEARING LOSS BECAUSE OF THIS STUIP LAW.---------------------. If we had unrestricted supressor development in this county I can only think about what nice supressors we would have for cheap.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote