THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    No 9.3 bullets from Hornady planned

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No 9.3 bullets from Hornady planned
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My question to Hornady by email:
"Will Hornady make a 9.3 caliber bullet? The 9.3x62 cartridge seems to be gaining popularity-since CZ is chambering their 550 rifle for this round.

Hope so. I have one of these rifles, and would love to see Hornady make a semi-spitzer in the 285 grain range. Speer's 9.3 270 grain bullet is evidently very soft, and has many reports of breaking up. Hope you guys can provide a sound alternative.

Can you confirm a 9.3 bullet project? Availability?"

Hornady's response:

"It's been discussed but we have no plans at this time. However, I will pass your comments on. Thank you."

We may have to start a lobbying effort.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang it! A 285 gr Hornady Interbond would be sweet. I'd also like to see a 235 gr (230-235 or so) Interbond for lighter game. I think a 235 gr would make a good deer / feral hog bullet for use here in the States.

I'm hoping that Nosler will change their 9.3mm 250gr Ballistic Tip over to an Accubond.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that "None planned at this time." is a stock response. Think about it: if you worked at a big manufacturer, every crank gun owner in the world would be calling up to demand that you produce his or her pet product and calling you an idiot if you didn't agree and bring it out right away.

Let's get the email train going. They can ignore one crank, but ignoring many is another proposition.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of game with my 9,3x74R double rifle. I can highly recommend the 286 Nosler Partition or the 286 Woodleigh Soft.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swift makes a nice 9.3 A frame.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The people who critizise the speer 270 gr bullet are usulally matching it to game it was never intended for Confused

It is one of the best bullets for for ferals in the 9.3 period......................it was never meant to be for cape buff etc. use a woodleigh or the swift for that.

But I for one want a 9.3 bullet that expands readily on feral pigs etc. and it does, so it works well for those purposes.

Ray A. will pipe up and tell you how it didn't work on a large bull elephant with 100 kg tusks and exploded on impact richochet back and struck him in the ass...............therefore it's shitouse (where are you Ray Wink jump)

but reality is there is a purpose for it, use it for smaller game and it works well, where a woodleigh or other premium bullet would act like a FMJ.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC
I have used the 270 Speer on deer and wild pigs with good luck. I have only recovered one 270, from a 300+ lb pig. That bullet performed excellent with a good mushroom and deep penetration.
I am using it in a 9,3 double at a little over 2400fps. I also like the 285 Hawk with the .035jkt for game of this size too.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
The people who critizise the speer 270 gr bullet are usulally matching it to game it was never intended for

Hey, I have used the Speer 270 gr. 9.3 mm bullet on paper targets and they didn't even fall down. So how am I supposed to develop confidence in that bullet for use on game? Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Speer .358 250 grain Spitzer is a great bullet for most game here in Alaska.
Unless the 9.3 270 grain Speer is constructed different I would expect similar performance
I would like to hear how the 9.3 Speer holds up on game?

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
The people who critizise the speer 270 gr bullet are usulally matching it to game it was never intended for

Hey, I have used the Speer 270 gr. 9.3 mm bullet on paper targets and they didn't even fall down. So how am I supposed to develop confidence in that bullet for use on game? Smiler

500 I ould only choose Monometal solids for paper anything else will shed it's core Big Grin

In all reality the speer cops critizism that is unwarranted in repsect that I doubt it was ever meant to be anything but a deer, pig, kangaroo type bullet and for that task it works a treat !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the Speer blow up on two deer, albiet it killed them on the spot...I won't use them but I have made arrangments to have them all exported to Australia, there are a lot of suckers on that plot of land!! Wink jump beermate.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray !!

You can also send me that Enfield .416 Rigby for nix as well mate Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually Ray you will be proud of me when you finally see the .404 1909 m98 that I have built, Just the stock and blueing to go, it's built just the way you would like it, now all I need is some speer .404 bullets nut

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the speer 270's are soft but they work just great on all game up to kudu.

Use Stuarts softs on bigger stuff but at the price of Speers I'll shoot most of what I want for the pot with them.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Yes, the speer 270's are soft but they work just great on all game up to kudu.

Use Stuarts softs on bigger stuff but at the price of Speers I'll shoot most of what I want for the pot with them.

Finally some sensible comments re; the speer 270 gr 9.3 bullet....................Ganyana ask Ray I have been defending the poor old speer for a fair while on this forum now !! beer