Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby on Gunbroker
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I ran across this today while poking around Gunbroker.

LINK

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Beautiful!! Very nice 7x57

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A dream...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
All i can say is "WOW...i want one" CRYBABY

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
At that price it should be perfect. It is far from it.

The reblue job was done by an idiot. Look at how the lettering is screwed up.

I would think in the $4500 range would be more appropriate. Or the guy needs to send it to Turnbull with a check of about $3000 and get it fixed.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

The reblue job was done by an idiot. Look at how the lettering is screwed up.

Sir,

Please enlighten us, and tell us what have been done wrong.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way overpriced.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Bent,

Look at photo #6 and #7 the lettering isn't as crisp as it would be if the job was done by a professional.

I can say with quite a bit of certainty that no Rigby Co or anyone that had a lot of experience on high dollar restorations touched this rifle.

If one of you guild level gunsmiths wants to chime in and tell me I am wrong then fine. But I stand by my beliefs.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is very over priced. It is a lovely example however!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
D99, since you don't know anything about the condition this rifle was in before it was refinished, or who the smith is who restored it, I would not be so quick to make those kinds of statements. A master metalsmith and stockmaker, Rigby tried very hard to recruit him several years ago. His name shall remain anonymous for my own selfish reasons.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
D99, since you don't know anything about the condition this rifle was in before it was refinished, or who the smith is who restored it, I would not be so quick to make those kinds of statements. A master metalsmith and stockmaker, Rigby tried very hard to recruit him several years ago. His name shall remain anonymous for my own selfish reasons.

Without knowing the circumstances behind this rifle I too would say it is inappropriate to make the statement that D99 made. First off, look at the lettering on the receiver, it is crisp. It looks to me like the barrel may have been neglected and to remove most evidence of that some metal had to be removed. That would leave the original engraving somewhat more shallow than optimal but that does not make it amatuerish. In fact, the surface looks very even to me, also not the sign of an amatuer.

Very nice rifle, though I never did like the British stock style.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The words "rigby" doesn't make it worth that much $$$$.

I am not expert either, I just don't agree that it was done properly. Take a look at a real Rigby, Holland, Westly Richards re-do and you will see what I am talking about.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

I am not expert either, I just don't agree that it was done properly. Take a look at a real Rigby, Holland, Westly Richards re-do and you will see what I am talking about.

Well, here's a Rigby .416 I've seen. This gun is mint, unrestored, and pristine. Mike says the gun was likely unfired after regulation. I think the lettering of the gun in this thread compares favorably.

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Holy huge photos Batman!

Ok it's another period gun. Its a little more crisp, and probably as expensive.

I guess the first one isn't so bad by comparison.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
D99,

I just want to say that it is rather bold to name anyone "idiot", out of so low quality photo's.
The light is to bright,to narrow, and reflexes to many, to show details properly.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Rigby engraved lettering is famously primitive.

This is as good as any I've seen.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote