New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Colt Sauer rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Question - I have been offered a pair of older Colt Sauer rifles - 300 WM and 270.
These are the ones from the 1970's that are silky smooth actions but have the skinny barrels.
Are these a "big deal" now a days? Or have they gone the way of Belgian Browning rifles???

I remember coveting them years ago but have not heard much in recent years and not much on this forum.

Posts: 10179 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sauer 90 which I believe is the same as the Colt Sauer?

Action is super smooth, accuracy is decent. I am not a big fan of the shape of the stock. It is a well made firearm overall. As a collector I think you should have one. As an everyday rifle, I think there are better options.

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about a Big deal. But I have had two. a 22-250 and a 30-06.
Both shot 1" groups at 100. the 22-250 well under 1".

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found a Sauer magazine in .375 H&H from that era. If you buy one of those, I have a spare mag for ya!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compared to the guns made today, the older Colt Sauer guns are fantastic. In the gun world old is not bad. As far as accuracy, it is all a crap shoot. Some have great barrels and shoot lights out and some aren't as good. It would be nice to be able to shoot ever gun you want to buy to see if its a shooter. What are they asking for the guns.. Most used colt Sauer rifles are selling for about $2k.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote