Find
Notify
Tools

Port a rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CORNERSTONE
posted
I have a custom rifle(308 win) that is quite heavy ( about 10 lbs )and the recoil is kinda lite, but the Dr. says I must shoot at or less than the equal of what a 243 will produce due to a port in my chest. This gun is a real shooter and I do not want to lose that, but a 15% reduction in felt recoil may get me there. Ideas???????

Thanks,
ED

Posts: 148 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Forget the ports. If you want recoil reduction go with a muzzle brake, SSG mini Extreme will probably get you down below a 243 level. As an added bonus, you can remove it!

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1087 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
..... go with a muzzle brake, .....

C-Stone,

+1 for the suggestion above.

It'll take pretty much all of the already negligable Whump outa your 308 Winchester, especially with 10lbs of mass behind it and then a Muzzle Brake installed. IMO that combo will get the recoil down to somewhere around, well; pretty insignificant. If you'd care to experiment with .308" Barnes 130 gr. TTSX's in your 308 Win. vs. a heavier bullet that would reduce the recoil as well.

I've got two Vias Stainless Steel Muzzle Brakes; one on a 25-06 Remington and the other on a 300 Weatherby. Not that either are particularly violent Whumpers, the Muzzle Brake really takes the quick jab outa the 300 Witherbeee, the 25-06 Remington installation was just an exercise to see how comfortable I could make a hunting weight rifle shoot - it worked.

Two issues involved. Neither rifle now shoots anywhere close to POI nor shoots the as sighted-in Bug-Hole groups without the Muzzle Brake installed - even with the thread protector screwed onto the threads plus I don't know that I'd advise anyone to shoot the rifle without the thread protector on the threads either. Also, even when hunting - you'll not want to touch one off without hearing protection ..... for sure.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my rifles Mag-N-Ported as then I do not get the muzzle blast like a brake. Also when shooting prone most brakes kich dirt etc into your face.
IF I was to get a brake I would get the T/C Muzzle Tamer like I have on several Encore pistol barrels. There are no lower ports so you avoid the normal brake troubles. The T/C brake is also very effective.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Go with a brake.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My Blaser R93 in 9,3x62 is factory Mag-Na-ported. It doesn't seem to lessen recoil or increase blast but one thing for sure it keeps recoil in a straight line with no muzzle jump. I use this rifle for drive hunting where all shots are taken at running animals and repeating shots are much faster thanks to the MNP.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not at my desk right now so I do not have access to the file.

DEVA did a Test with the same rifle un-Ported and then Magna-Ported.

Recoil reduction was the least benefit of Magna-Porting. It reduced Muzzle Climb/Flip by 13% (the largest benefit) and IIRC Muzzle Blast increased by 3Db.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cornerstone:
How about using a PAST recoil pad? I use one of them when shooting my .338 WM off the bench and can easily shoot an entire box of cartridges. I know you wouldn't want it for hunting BUT for range shooting? It'd be cheaper than a break or Magna-porting. If it didn't work out, you could get the break installed later. Justa thought.
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Blaser barrels in 300 Win Mag, and 375 H&H, both Magna Ported and unported.

This has allowed me to shoot them side by side, same ammo and the same scope, so the exact same weight.

I find that Magna Port does not seem any louder in the field to me. It also does remove the hard "wack" of the rifle into the shoulder, I can definately tell the difference between ported and unported barrels, the ported definately more comfortable to shoot. Also the ported barrel does not rise up near as much and it makes it easier to shoot more accurately as the recoil forces are easier to control in a more consistant manner,.

Also it makes it easier to see the impact of the bullet. And as others have stated MP does not kick up dust grass or snow.

I like Magna Port.

It does not however, reduce recoil as much as a GOOD muzzle break, and as I stated in another post, the best brake I have shot is the KDF.

A break does make the rifle louder to the shooter.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerry, this confirms my subjective feelings.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentry quiet brake

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Sound suppressor.