THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre ca. 1948 Mauser rifle.....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre ca. 1948 Mauser rifle.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
kaliber .270. It has couple of dings in the stock but otherwise it's in excellent condition with mint bore. Quality wise it's at least equal to early Browning rifle made by the same factory. It has hooded front sight with Lyman 481 micrometer sight plus claw mount with Hensoldt from Wetzlar dural 4x scope attached via rail system. The scope and mount is in pristine order. Both scope and rifle are in 6000+ serial range. Is 1000 USD good price for this outfit. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, that is among the three finest production bolt action hunting rifles ever produced, the others being the Brno 21/22 and ZG series.

I would LOVE to have a chance to buy that for 1000 USD and even with 28 fine big game rifles in my safes, I WOULD buy it.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your info it's very high quality piece. I did not buy it for the following reasons: it's quite heavy, rear mount base precludes insertion of peep sight, wing safety makes low scope mounting impossible, and 40s Hensoldt 4x dural scope with single coat of magnesium flourice and rail is pretty much a Tasco in optical quality, setup for rail equiped scope makes new replacement a costly proposition even if new one would fit bases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures Please

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is 1000 USD good price for this outfit.

Indeed it is.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is 1000 USD good price for this outfit.

Indeed it is.......

...for the SELLER!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it didn't sell tomorrow I will look at Sako 'Finnbear' 7,62x63 on L61 action. This one shows no use and comes with low Sako extension mount to allow for mounting scope for extra eye relief. The front blade sight is adjustable for windage and rear is fully adjustable and looks like one on k98 or Cz rimfire bolt guns. I might buy it and mount same vintage 2,5x Nickel Supra on it. It does cost 200USD less then FN and comes with Redfield 2-7x variable which is brighter then that Hensoldt Wetzlar antique on the FN.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that you are right Paolo. Old optics - of that vintage - are just that...old optics...and they ARE the most important part of the whole outfit.

If you can't see the "target" well then the rest is just wasted. It took me THREE ZF4 'scopes to find ONE for my BRNO ZKK that was still clear and in good order.

Can you not pick up a "newer" Zeiss Diatal where you are? I would try!

7.62 x 63 is Scandanavian for 30-06 right?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you can do and I always do with these older classic rifles and I have and have had dozens of them, is to install a good synthetic stock to substantially lessen weight. You also can and I do change the safety to one more suited to scope use.

I would have a good smith change the scope mounts to accept a light scope, like a Swaro AV or Leupold and there you go, a light, high quality and very useful rifle at a reasonable cost.

I have one of these being built into a custom 9.3x62 as we speak and two of the Browning Safari Grades on the same action. One is a .458WM being customized with a Weibe drop mag., better iron sights, chopped barrel and custom stock and I have used rifles with this action for over 40 years with total satisfaction.

I do not consider the Sako an equal, although it is nicely finished, but, each to his own.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
What you can do and I always do with these older classic rifles and I have and have had dozens of them, is to install a good synthetic stock to substantially lessen weight. You also can and I do change the safety to one more suited to scope use.

I would have a good smith change the scope mounts to accept a light scope, like a Swaro AV or Leupold and there you go, a light, high quality and very useful rifle at a reasonable cost.

I have one of these being built into a custom 9.3x62 as we speak and two of the Browning Safari Grades on the same action. One is a .458WM being customized with a Weibe drop mag., better iron sights, chopped barrel and custom stock and I have used rifles with this action for over 40 years with total satisfaction.

I do not consider the Sako an equal, although it is nicely finished, but, each to his own.

I would say this FN sporter is at least equal to pre-64 Super Grade 70 and superior to old Sakos made on FN actions. The weight of this rifle is in the barrel so changing stock will not help. Changing safety and fitting new scope will just cost too much and I will still have 9lb "sheep rifle". I will stick with my CZ550 9.3x62 for now and will look for something else. Perhpas I will find Kimber 89 in small-bore for decent price. One just never knows, but I know if one waits there is always something better just around the corner. Wink

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dewey's assessment that commercial FNs, in addition to commercial Brnos, are the finest post-war Mauser-type sporting rifles, and equal to the finest pre-war Mauser sporters too. True, most vintage scopes aren't up to current standards and early FN barrel contours are on the heavy side. Part of what makes them so nice IMO are the stocks, very well shaped and beautiful hand checkering pattern.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Having had a couple of old scopes refurbished and having spent some time talking with folks who do it for living, I found out most of the old scopes with really poor optics suffer from a separation of lenses in one or more groups that were glued together with balsam of fir. It's a natural glue made from the resin of balsam fir trees and a standard product in optics before the advent of synthetic resins and epoxies. Once the lenses separate the air gap distorts the optical transparency of the set.

Any good rehab of one of those scopes will make a world of difference in the satisfaction of using it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is really strange that two of us would find almost the identical guns in the same day.I believe the one I bought to be made in the 50's it's serial number is in the 11,000 range. I am not a Mauser expert but I am a fan. They are a beautiful piece of the gunmakers art that just doesn't happen any more. I could not pass it up. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to hold out for something post wwII from Germany or Austria. Their rifles were usually put together very well do not weigh a "ton".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
It is really strange that two of us would find almost the identical guns in the same day.I believe the one I bought to be made in the 50's it's serial number is in the 11,000 range. I am not a Mauser expert but I am a fan. They are a beautiful piece of the gunmakers art that just doesn't happen any more. I could not pass it up. DW

I think it's older than that. Mine is date stamped 1952 as tre SN# is 23XXX. I'm guessing it's closer to 1949 or 1950.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote