Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta Mato
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
Have a chance to pick up a Beretta Mato 300 win, chrome moly, synthetic stock, new in the box / never fired for $800.00.

Anybody know anything good or bad about these Matos? I heard they don't make them anymore.

Need to act quick so any info would be appreciated.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I believe the action is a Zastava origin commercial mauser, but I could be wrong. I doubt that Berreta is making the action, but probably do make the barrel. Nothing special about them, another commercial Mauser w/ synthetic stock which is quite easy and low in cost to produce or purchase. Would not pay that much when others are available on the market for less and equal in quality. Look for good used Winchester or perish the thought, a Remington if you are wanting a "working" gun and not a collector. Just a suggestion.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The synthetic Mato rifles I know about were built on a copy of the Dakota M97 action using a Lothar Walther barrel. I don't remember the source of the stock. Retail was in the $1200s for the synthetic stocked rifles, and over $2,000 for the wood stocks.

Beretta stopped making them when the acquired Sako (and Tikka too).

The remaining inventories were sold through "fire sale" distributors.

I have not had a chance to shoot one, but the parentage of the component parts is excellent.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim is correct. The Mato is similar to the Dakota 97 "Hunter" (round action) rifle. I assume Dakota furnished either the actions or barreled actions to Beretta.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I owned for awhile. The rifle is heavy, the recoil pad is hard and I didn't like the way it handled. Mine looked very well built though. Fit and finish was nice. It has a Shilen trigger, but the trigger shoe needs to be replaced to get to adjust below 3 1/2lbs. Shilen will sell you one for about $30 if I remember right. Would work good for a stand rifle, but I wouldn't want to haul one on the trail.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thanks

I think its too good a deal to pass up.

Anyone here know where I could get some bases. Midway only sells the Talley which I would have to buy rings for and all that would cost $125.00. If I could find some Redfield or Leupold bases, i already have the rings and they would only cost $20.00. Want 2 piece bases.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just get the Talley bases. They are worth it. The rifle is worth it. It is just a tad muzzle heavy, but it hangs just fine for off hand fire. They are very well made. My anatomy doesn't work well with that stock design, but if it did I would be buying every one I could find.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If you can find bases for a beretta 97 they will fit the Mato.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 338 WM and don,t mind the extra weight for this caliber. Great gun, accurate as heck and steady for off hand shooting with the extra barrel weight. I am looking to get one or two more as I get more $ in the future. The 300 WM would be great in the Mato. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a 280 Mato on Gunsamerica for $850

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976566117.htm

Posts: 148 | Location: behind a cabbage plant on a hot August Day | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a synthetic stocked Beretta Mato in 30-06. I paid $500 plus tax, brand new on a closeout. It's a great rifle. The stock is made by Bell & Carlson, their Medalist type. I use Talley rings and bases with a Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select scope. The rings and bases are great. If you don't want to spend that much you can use Weaver Grand Slam steel bases and Burris Quick Detachable rings and have a functionally similar set up for less money. Leupold also make their Quick Detachable bases and rings for this rifle. I have also had the trigger reworked with Shilen parts to get a 3 lb. pull. I intend to add iron sights to the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Have you ever attempted to adjust the trigger yourself? There are 3 adjustment nuts, 2 on the front and one on the back. Wondering if I could adjust it down to 3 1/2# myself.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Have you ever attempted to adjust the trigger yourself? There are 3 adjustment nuts, 2 on the front and one on the back. Wondering if I could adjust it down to 3 1/2# myself.
You still have to do that. Without the new trigger shoe, it just will not adjust low enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Mato's and would like to have a couple more. They are a variant of the Dakota 97. Unlike Lawndart the stock fits me nearly perfectly and is probably my favorite synthetic stock I've ever tried on a factory rifle. Both rifles are very accurate. Only gripe is that they are a bit on the heavy side.
For $800 you should snag it before I do.......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys know matos so : I need a magazine for an 06 Mato.
email; markyvonne@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 744 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RJohnson
posted Hide Post
The early Matos actually said Dakota on the receiver. I have one in .270 Win, and I love it. Very accurate rifle with a nice slim synthetic stock with shadow line cheek piece. Winchester pre-64 .375 mounts work and so do any mounts that are made for the Dakotas. They have a neat quick detach magazine that looks like it's a standard hinged mag but isn't.

Well worth it and I see them for $1000 all the time

Posts: 68 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 14 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods, being as that rifle really needs Talley's it's probably way to expensive all up. If you'll pick it up, I'll get you a check for the 800 and get it out of your hair---I've got Talley bases and rings 'in stock' Roll Eyes

I've only seen a couple, and they seemed to be very solid, tight rifles. As much as you know about the 300 Win Mag, you should jump on it. I think the price is actually about market right now, I've seen several in that general price range.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish

You know, you might be right. I went ahead and picked it up about 2 1/2" years ago. Then I went and made the same mistake again on a 338 win mag for $800.00 also. clap

You are right about them needing Talley bases and rings, but you would be wrong about having to send them to you to get them

And, oops, is that a Diavari V 2.5x10x50x30mm scope on that 338 win mag? Oh no, on the 300 win mag that looks like a Kahles MultZero 4x12x52!

Guess I will have to send them to you to get some decent bases, rings and scopes. Roll Eyes

Hey SILVERBUZZARD, I have only the 2 magazines but I had heard at one time that you could buy them somewhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GEEZ, I guess every once in a while I should look at the original post date Roll Eyes

But you know Woods, Stonecreek would tell you those objective lenses are way too big to be effective, so maybe I could help you 'downsize' Wink

Seriously though-- GREAT looking rigs.

I thought I recalled you posting some results from Mato's before.....guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought.......

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish

We just won't tell Stonecreek that way I won't have to change out those perfect scopes. Big Grin

If you are looking for a 338 win mag now or contemplating it in the future, the Mato makes a perfect one IMO. Controlled round feed, 3 position safety, Dakota action, Lothar Walthar barrel, Shilen trigger and HS Precision stock. It is a medium weight gun that is a little barrel heavy which makes it point well. Sooner or later they will be like the pre-64's and the price will hit $2,000.00 or more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea the Mato's were an excellent rifle. Since my original post I glommed onto another one myself, now I have 3. My only criticism was that they were a little heavy but having a few Kimbers and Finnlites the Mato's are handy where I like a little extra weight to steady them.
I hope to sneak up on a 338 one of these days, a couple have escaped me in the past....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good plan on the scopes Woods. They are indeed ideal IMO!

Thanks for the link, I might sneak up on that one DJ. Smiler