THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Got my CZ dialed for mule deer !

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my CZ dialed for mule deer !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took my CZ fullstock 7X57 mauser to a range near by this morning and with 20 hand loads I got her shooting right where I wanted her. I put 4 rounds into just over a half inch at 100yards 2 inches above the bull.
A guy shooting a savage sniper rifle did not think a manlicher stocked rifle could do so well, I told him truthfully that that rifle often shoots better than that. And it does.
I have a VX2 leupold 2X7 on her in warne rings. The load is 162 grain Hornady bt interlock over a stiff charge of RL-19 I won't say how much cause it might not be safe in another rifle. Loaded close to the lands and it gives me 2650 FPS. ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got a winning mule deer combination. I hope CZ decides to import the 7x57 rifles again (especially the fullstock version which I too have great fondness for). For several years, I used a P.O. Ackley built 7x57 on a Mark X action for all of my big game hunting here in Utah. I used the 139 grain Hornady at about 2800 fps for mule deer and the 162 grain Hornady at around 2600 on elk and both performed flawlessly every time. In my mind, you have a perfect mule deer rifle. Good luck hunting.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
Took my CZ fullstock 7X57 mauser to a range near by this morning and with 20 hand loads I got her shooting right where I wanted her. I put 4 rounds into just over a half inch at 100yards 2 inches above the bull.
A guy shooting a savage sniper rifle did not think a manlicher stocked rifle could do so well, I told him truthfully that that rifle often shoots better than that. And it does.
I have a VX2 leupold 2X7 on her in warne rings. The load is 162 grain Hornady bt interlock over a stiff charge of RL-19 I won't say how much cause it might not be safe in another rifle. Loaded close to the lands and it gives me 2650 FPS. ...tj3006

The velocity you are getting seems reasonable for a short barreled 7X57mm, which is capable of over 2800 in a 22" with 160-grain Nosler Partition bullets.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old ZKK 600 in 7 x 57 will do the same with a 160 gr Speer SP Partition and failsafe and a case full of IMR-4350. All three bullet types shoot dam near to the same spot too. I been known to keep a few Failsafes in the cartridge pouch. Never know when that Elk or a Moose of a life time will show up while hunting deer. Of course that is you also have the tags in your pocket.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a CZ 550 American, my little brother owns a CZ 550 Fullstock and his hunting buddy does too, all in 7x57mm. My rifle is capable of sub-half minute of angle groups with the 162 grain Hornady SST seated way, way, out to .01 inch off the lands (3.280 COL in my rifle) and sitting on top of 48.3 grains of H414 in a Remington case and Federal 210 primers. It scoots out of the barrel at 2,815 fps. My brother's fullstock likes Nosler Partitions better (mine shoots them fine as well) and with the same powder load his will put three 160 grain partitions into .75 inch going at a chronographed 2,765 fps. His friend's rifle likes the 162 grain SSTs better with the same powder setting and he consistently shoots the heads off turkey in Texas (plus a lot of other game as well). I do not know what kind of groups he gets or his velocity. I have a Leupold 4x12 and Duffy, my brother has a Burris Fullfield in 4x12 mounted on his. I refinished my stock and Duffy liked it so well, he did the same to his rifle. I have hunted mule deer, whitetail deer, wild hog, elk, antelope and coyote with mine. Duffy just uses his on whitetails in Texas. I might add that I was very disgusted with CZ for dropping the 7x57mm from its CZ 550 American line and the CZ 550 Fullstock line. I would much rather have seen the company cut back on the production of them rather than to stop production of them for the American market. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x57.
I would love to get the velocity you are getting, I have used H-414, and with 140 and 150 grain bullets it works great ! velocity up around 2900, and groups around an inch.
But i have gone all the way up to 50 grains, and my velocity was 2677, and did not group as well as the RL-19. Did you by chance use magnum primers ? I tried them with the lighter bullets but really saw no significant improvment.
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas: The 2,815 came from my CZ 550 with a 23.5 inch barrel. My brother's fullstock achieved 2,765 with the Nosler Partition 160 grain bullet. The velocity in mine was with the Hornady SST 162 grain bullet. In both cases, the bullets were seated way, way out. In my rifle it likes bullets seated to within .01 inch off the lands. Duffy's fullstock likes them .025 inch off the lands. I have3 found with the exceedingly long throat on the CZ rifles in the euro-cartridges, the lighter weight bullets simply are not long enough to seat in the case and be that close to the lands. In my rifle my bolt got sticky at 51 grains of H414 powder so I backed it down and finally settled on 48.3 grains. I used standard primers in my reloads. I also live at an elevation of 6,500 feet and where I do my shooting it is another 1,000 feet higher. That too, may have an impact. Please feel free to contact me in the future if you have any other questions, although I will me moving to Eudora, Kansas in about two weeks due to health reasons and the lower elevation and fewer alergies. I haven't quite figured out how to change over on the forums yet as I do not know who my internet provider will be in Kansas.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load way out there too ! Most of my loads are 3.24 inches I saw yours was 3.28, mabye Your throat is a little deeper witch might explain why mine does a little better with lighter bullets. I am gonna try 50.5 grains of H-414.With a 160 grain sierra.
I might see about getting a CZ american in 6.5 X 55, it would be another awfully nice rifle I bet. But I will probably have a 7X57 done with a deep throat , my smith has a european style reamer. I would go with a 23.6 inch barrel, probably a Douglas. Good luck with your move, there are nice white tails in kansas.
But You might need a real long range rifle ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are seating the bullets way out there too, and it looks as though you are, then I cannot account for the reason why I'm getting a higher velocity and my brother is as well. I do know that identical firearms will have two different characteristics, so maybe we can chalk it up to that. I didn't chrono the 162 grain Hornady SST with the 51 grain load, but it must have really been smoking! To be honest, though, you already have a good load for your CZ at 2,650 fps. That's a good load in a 20.5 inch barrel. Tom Purdom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you tom 2650 will do prety much any thing 28 will do, and i think the high velocity might well have alot to do with altitude, base balls seem to fly a long way in denver...tj3006

freedom1st