New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 7mm SST interlocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in the field with the SST Interlock in either 154 gn or 162 gn for the 7mmRem Mag.

I am considering probably the 162 gn for an all round load for my 7mm rem for anything from Deer to Gemsbuck, Wildebeest etc.

The alternative is the 160 gn Woodleigh Protected Point which I believe are a very good projectile.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
I hunt with a Rem M700 BDl in 7mm Rem Mag. I am currently using a 160 gr Partition for Western Montana deer/elk/black bear. I haven't shot anything with this load so I can't give any details on field results. Range results have been good. Anyways, the little buggers are expensive so I too am considering the 162 gr SST as an alternative load. I wrote to Hornady and asked them, they said it should work fine for elk. It looks promising but I think I make sure I have a good load with the Partitions before I work up a load with the SST. Try the Big Game forum, there are several posts about the SSTs on there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I picked up my box of 162 gr. SST's at Sportsman's Warehouse in Salem, OR yesterday. I am really looking forward to trying them out. I have shot the 139 gr. SST's some, and I have taken a couple of springbok with them. They shoot flat and worked fine. I think they were a bit tougher than Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I think I will probably use my supply of IMR 7828 or Reloader 22 for this bullet. I'll keep you all posted, and you do the same.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks Far Right & Joel. I am waiting for the 162 gn SST to arrive in about 2 weeks and will work up a load for them. Will keep you posted.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
You may be very pleasantly surprised, as I was. I am the proud owner of a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm and it has a long, long throat. I get one-inch groups with Nosler Partitions in the 160 grain bullet with H414. I used the flatbase bullet so I could get near the lands. Anyway, discovered I could get near the lands of my rifle with the 162 gr SSTs so I loaded some and put it .01 inch off the lands using 48.2 grains. Got a velocity of 2,815 fps average and each of the three groups I shot that day were sub half-minute, and these are five shot groups. They are very accurate. AS far as how they do on animals ... the school is still out on that, but I rather suspect they will be perfectly fine for elk sized animals and the like. Just two cents worth. Tom Purdom [Big Grin]