THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Value of Rem 700 Classic in 8mm Mag???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of Rem 700 Classic in 8mm Mag???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw a very nice 700 Classic in 8mm Mag today and was wondering what it is worth and opinions of the 8mm mag????

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last years blue book shows $475 in exc. condition....gun was made in 1998.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 8mm mag was a good idea that failed because of a shortage of good quality bullets in 8mm.I had one but rebarreled it to 338x8mmremmag in order to have a better selection of bullets.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the value of a Remington 700 Classic
in good shape is in the neighborhood of $500.

I have four of them in the safe and really like them for hunting. I own a 25-06, a 7mm WBY mag, a 300 WBY mag, and a 338 Win Mag. I would not trade any one of them. I have, in fact, declined an offer to trade a fellow my Rem 700 Classic chambered for 300 WBY Mag for his Weatherby Mark V also chambered for 300 WBY Mag. No deal, mine shoots better, handles better, etc. Not that the Weatherby is not one nice looking rifle, but the performance of my Remington was better on all counts than his Weatherby.

In regard to the 8mm Rem Mag, I was never too taken by this cartridge. For the size of that case, you would think it would go a lot faster than it does. I had a friend who owned one and he said it kicked like hell! But it is a good functional magnum cartridge, no doubt. The likes of Craig Boddington prefers it for long range elk hunting over the 338 Win Mag. For the life of me, I do not know why, but that is what he says.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really can use a 26" barrel in an 8 mag to get the most out of it. Good bullets are available now, and it really is no trick to get 3100 fps from 220 gr Hornadies with that length of barrel. Makes a great long range elk/moose hammer. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Rem8mag>
posted
If the price is right, buy it. Nice gun, dandy cartridge. I haven't shot anything over 185 gr out of mine, so I don't know how bad it might kick with heavy bullets. I get 3300fps with a 175 gr Sierra (moly coated). Shoots like a dream. Recoil is there, but hardly punishing.

<Okie Newton>
posted
I have no use for a rifle of that caliber but I think with it being a Remington classic should make it worth something.

<WSJ>
posted
You could buy the Classic in 8 Mag for <$550 in 1998 and '99. Mind you, that was shopping hard and in 1999 it was on 1998 leftovers; $527 bought mine. I'd think $400 for a nice used one would be a heck of a deal and $500 not unreasonable for either buyer or seller. -WSJ