THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Browning BBR, what's your take on em'?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BBR, what's your take on em'?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
A family member picked up a BBR 7mm RM at a real good price and he has given the rifle to me to rework. The stock had some bad scratches but, they were mostly just through the clear coat. I'm going to strip the stock and prep it for a new finish. Their was also blueinf rubbed off on some of the barrel but, it's nothing my blueing chemical wouldn't fix. The rifle has a pretty good boar from what I could tell w/ an eyeball and light, it looked like it hadn't been shot too much.

It has the 9 locking lugs and flutes in the bolt much like the wea, Vanguard set-up.

What should I expect from this rifle? Accurate?

After I get it redone I'll probably run a few loads through her and see how she groups.

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
A family member picked up a BBR 7mm RM at a real good price and he has given the rifle to me to rework. The stock had some bad scratches but, they were mostly just through the clear coat. I'm going to strip the stock and prep it for a new finish. Their was also blueinf rubbed off on some of the barrel but, it's nothing my blueing chemical wouldn't fix. The rifle has a pretty good boar from what I could tell w/ an eyeball and light, it looked like it hadn't been shot too much.

It has the 9 locking lugs and flutes in the bolt much like the wea, Vanguard set-up.

What should I expect from this rifle? Accurate?

After I get it redone I'll probably run a few loads through her and see how she groups.

Thanks,

Reloader

They were a pretty fair rifle, I liked them better than the A-Bolt but they were a heavy sucker. If you don't mind the weight, I think you'll like it.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 7mm mag BBR at a steal a few years ago. Cobra is right, it is heavy but very accurate. I sometimes have trouble with feeding the first cartridge from the magazine. It tends to pop the second round up also as if the magazine spring is too strong. I am no gunsmith so my diagnosis may be wrong. That and the high gloss finish are my only complaints.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I did a thorough cleaning on it last night and also reblued all of the worn spots. The barreled action turned out well and after a good cleaning of the bore it looks to be in great shape as well.

I sanded the scratches out of the stock and later this week I intend on stripping all of the finish. May go w/ a little darker stain this go around.

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a short action one in 22-250. It has the 22" pencil barrel and shoots like a heavy barrel. I like the tang safety, pachmayr flush sling studs and the clip. It has the factory classic style stock without the monte carlo or cheeckpiece which fits me well. The trigger was easy to adjust and breaks clean. I have a 4-12 x 40 AO vari-x II on it and it pretty much puts factory loads in the same ragged hole at 100 yds. My two remington 22-250 couldn't keep up with it accuracy wise so off they went. I like it better than the a-bolt or a-bolt II. Not bad for a rifel from the 80s.

If it doesn't shoot I'll be suprised.

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The couple that came thru my hands for sale all shot little tiny groups according to their new owners. One guy even brought me the target to see.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

She's turnin' out quite nice. Last night I finished stripping the stock, removed all scratches, finish sanded w/ some 220 grit, and applied a couple of coats of provincial stain.

Looks great so far. This evening I'm going to clear coat the stock.

Now that the rust is gone, the blueing repaired, and the stock refinished, I don't think the owner will recognize it.

I think I'll load up some Sierra 160s tonight and carry it to the range this weekend to see what kind of groups it'll do.

Thanks,

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a 7mm mag BBR in the late 70's and early 80's. It was a very nice rifle from what I can remember. Made my longest deer kill to date with it.

I accumulated a bunch of parking tickets while going to college and I couldn't graduate until they were paid. So, I sold the Browning along with a Remington 870 so I could get my diploma. Wish I still had both of them.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Got it put back together last night. Took it to the range this morning and the first 3 shots out of a clean barrel went .8" and that was w/ some old cheap Federal Classic 160 grain loads. Not Bad, Not bad at all.

W/ some handloads it would probably be a real shooter. I tried some Hdy Custom 139 SPBTs as well and they shot close to an inch.

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I accumulated a bunch of parking tickets while going to college and I couldn't graduate until they were paid. So, I sold the Browning along with a Remington 870 so I could get my diploma. Wish I still had both of them.

Unless you've found your diploma more valuable than I've found mine, you should have kept the guns. Wink

There seems to be a pretty good market for used BBR's among people who've had experience with them, so I conclude that they must be pretty good shooters. Being a "fat bolt" design makes the action pretty heavy, so their overall weight seems to be the biggest complaint. The BBR, like the A-bolt, was of Japanese manufacture (I believe), so I'm not sure why it's short production life.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote