New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm & barnes X bullit
 Login/Join

posted
Posted 04 March 2005 02:36
I have a Win mod 70 in Super Grade with boss. system. I had a friend of mine who worked for Barnes work up a load for the boss. (I didnt have patience or the experise at that time)
It was 150 grain X boattail with 69 grains WMR & all Winchester brass chrono. at 3022fps. It shoots very good groups 3 shots are covered by a 25 cent piece at 100 yards 2 almost same hole. But it copper fouls very bad in my gun & my son inlaws ruger m77. I have been thinking about changing to the 160 tsx but it is not boattail just flat base. I want a load that will give me the knock down & the long range. I have killed 2 trophy size elk & several deer with this load at 200 to 300 yard range.
Will the 160 flat base in the coated tsx be a better load. Has anybody had any experience with this bullet. I am new to the forum. Thanks in advance. I origanaly posted this in big game but maybe should have posted it here. Sorry fot the duplication

Posts: 13 | Location: Lindon Utah | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just finished working up a load for a custom 7MM REM MAG built around a left handed model 70 action using the 160 gr TSX bullet and RL 22. It groups three shots into a little less than a half an inch, and 10 into an inch and a quarter. Fouling has been next to nil, and I mean nil and its consistency from a cold/fouled/clean barrel has been fantastic.

I have yet to use this particular load on game but have used the X bullet on game in both the 300 win mag and 280 remington. It is a fantastic bullet to say the least. In fact I'll soon be squirreling away enough of those .284 160 gr TSX to do the barrel in on this particular rifle.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I loaded a friend's 7mag with 160 TSX's and only tried 6 different loads, 3 with RL 22 and 3 with IMR 4831. His gun, a Browning stainless stalker with BOSS, did better with the IMR 4831.

Wound up with 64 grains of IMR 4831 at 3025 fps which gives energy of about 2200 at 300 yards and 36.5" drop at 500 yards with a 200 yard zero.

His gun shot a 5/8" group. The TSX's do not copper as bad as the regular X's, but you will need some Barnes CR10 or Wipe Out. If it coppers up after about 20 rounds your accuracy will suffer and velocity will go up. I prefer Wipe Out. A discussion on this cleaning topic is now on the bottom of page 2 in the RELOADING section.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote