THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    new sako!!!!!!!!! i finally found one

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new sako!!!!!!!!! i finally found one
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
ive been looking for a 300 ultra stainless syn. for a few months. found one down on oregon when there for business. i bought it and put a 3x10 swaro on top of it. cant wait to shoot it. i think ill try interbonds,accubonds and bearclaws for the tougher stuff. any reccomendations for me from experienced 300 ultra guys? thanks jeff

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new Sako. I've got two and love them both. Another bullet you may want to try for the tough stuff if you reload is the Barnes Triple Shock. I've had great luck with them in my .300 Weatherby Sako.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To get the most out it, stick with the really slow powders. Mine prefers RL-25, but many others are getting great accuracy with IMR7828 and H1000 as well. For the long shots using a tough bullet, don't rule out the 180 or 200gr Nosler Partitions. They give me pretty good accuracy and serious penetration. I also shoot 180gr Sierra Gamekings as a cheaper alternative. Accuracy is great and they are quite deadly as well. I use them primarily on whitetail in PA at 100-450 yd ranges.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

ive been looking for a 300 ultra stainless syn. for a few months. found one down on oregon when there for business. i bought it and put a 3x10 swaro on top of it. cant wait to shoot it. i think ill try interbonds,accubonds and bearclaws for the tougher stuff. any reccomendations for me from experienced 300 ultra guys? thanks jeff

Here you go! BTW may I ask how much the sako set you back?

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=305391&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
im back finally from the businesss trip that was a long one. thanks for the thread that will get me going on a load for sure. i gave 978 dollars for it at the sportsman's warehouse in tri-cities WA. i didnt have to pay sales tax because im an alaskan resident. im gonna go to the range today and try it out i cant wait. i dont have any dies for it yet so ill just shoot some factory stuff. thanks again jeff

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaska dude,
what kind of mounts are you putting on it? I have optilocks on mine

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i had the guy put on some leupold's that was all they had there. the gun didnt have an owners manual when i was down there, so i just down loaded the manual and it states the gun should have come with them, if im reading it correctly, along with tools for trigger adjustments. it had neither. i haven't really looked into types of mounts for it, i just wanted to get it put together then. do you know if it was suppose to come with rings? did i spend some extra money to get the leupold's that i didnt need to? also the manual gives directions for a 2 stage trigger mine does not have one it appears. ive never used a two stage, but why would they put that in the 75 manual? any help would be great. i think i need to get a hold of someone monday to get the straight scoop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont believe Sako's come with mounts, mine didnt. The optilock system comes wit h2 allen wrenches, the smaller (2.5mm) wrench is the one that adjusts the trigger through the magazine well. Two stage triggers are only available in europe i think, I doubt yours has it.

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

im back finally from the businesss trip that was a long one. thanks for the thread that will get me going on a load for sure. i gave 978 dollars for it at the sportsman's warehouse in tri-cities WA. i didnt have to pay sales tax because im an alaskan resident. im gonna go to the range today and try it out i cant wait. i dont have any dies for it yet so ill just shoot some factory stuff. thanks again jeff

Any range performance updates?

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scope mounts do not come with the rifle. You have to buy them separately. I highly, highly recommend the Sako Optilock mounts for this rifle. If not those, then maybe the Talleys. I've got Optilocks on both of my rifles and have never had any kind of problem whatsoever with them. I really like the synthetic inserts which means you'll never have to worry about ring marks or possibly bending the scope due to the mounts not lining up properly. Unless you've got a scope with a really big objective bell, like 56mm, you can use the low mounts if you get the Optilocks.

The trigger adjustment doesn't require any special tool. Just an allen wrench. Good luck with the 75.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I always use the Leupold rings. Never a problem. Remember with the Leupold/Sako rings...High rings where you would usually use mediums with other mounting systems.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
What load are you using with your 300 WBY Mag? Is it a 26" barrel or the 24 3/8"? What velocities/accuracy are you getting? A buddy just bought one in 300 WBY so I am curious. I just bought one in 300 RUM Stainless /Synthetic.