THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Opinions please .270 WCF - 150 grain spitzer standard Cup and core - Nosler v Hornady

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions please .270 WCF - 150 grain spitzer standard Cup and core - Nosler v Hornady
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've three hundred standard Hornady Interlock .277" 150 grain spitzer with a chance to but the same amount of Nosler .277" 150 grain spitzer in the black and red boxes (new old stock).

These aren't Nosler's partition just normal boat tail solid base. In terms of accuracy and use on deer what's the opinion of the AR membership? Keep the Hornady and pass by the Nosler or sell the Hornady and buy the Nosler?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've come across a supply of the old Nosler Solid Base bullets, the precursor of the Ballistic Tip. They were made with a solid base of jacket metal and a slight boattail form. I shoot them as a hunting bullet exclusively in the 243/100, .270/130, and 7mm/150. In my opinion the reason that Nosler dropped them was that they provided performance not too much different from the Partitions, but at half the price. In my experience they are a very good hunting bullet that penetrates a bit deeper than most cup-and-core bullets and I've never had anything other than excellent accuracy from them.

Nosler has cranked up a few runs of them in years past to supply to ammunition manufacturers and has sold some of these in plastic bags or plain cardboard boxes as "overruns". I've bought many of these, and am sometimes lucky enough to run across a supply of the originals as you have and happily buy them.

That said, although the Noslers will typically afford better accuracy than the Hornady's, that will vary from rifle to rifle, so it is impossible to say that they will be more accurate than your Hornady's. As far as terminal performance, penetration, expansion, etc., I doubt you'll see much difference -- both should do well.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I've always had excellent accuracy and success with Nosler bullets of all stripes, small to big. If the price is right, buy them all!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
Good advice from Stonecreek and Clayman. I've used some 130-gr. Solid Base bullets in my .270s, and they are among the most accurate bullets I've used in any cartridge. The newer Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets are the same. (Actually, my .270 Solid Base bullet box reads "Solid base boattail" and "Ballistic Tip.") I don't have Stonecreek's experience with these bullets on game, so can't really comment much about their terminal performance, but I think if I were concerned about this--particularly with the heavier game species--I'd opt for the Nosler Accubond bullets. Most who've experimented with them have found them to be as accurate as the Solid Base and Ballistic Tip bullets, and to perform very similarly with respect to handloading characteristics and velocities, but they do promise better performance on game vis-à-vis pentration and weight retention. The only drawback, I guess, is their higher cost.

As for Hornady bullets, I've never been a big fan--at least with respect to big-game cartridges (their varmint bullets, on the other hand, look just fine). Hornady's newer Interbond bullets might be better--perhaps on a par with the Nosler Accubonds--but the Interlocks have never impressed me as a top choice for larger game, and I haven't found a lot of evidence from others of outstanding performance on game with them.

But getting back to your original question, I'd choose the Noslers over the Hornadys. I believe there's a good chance that they'll be both more accurate and effective on game.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 165 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what you have now will work just fine.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both good bullets. It will boil down to which one your rifle likes best.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the NSB in my 257 roberts at 3,050 fps. They are very accurate. In the 257 they tend to be pretty soft, much like the Ballistic Tip which replaced them. Their terminal performance is pretty awesome but they rarely exit whitetails or hogs.
In a 150gr 277 bullet I'd assume the velocity threshold would make them a "harder" bullet but I have nothing to back that up other than experience with other bullets of similar design.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those old Nosler solid base bullets were a favorite of mine on deer, and worked well on elk.

The original Hornadys are a great game bullet as well, you can't go wrong with them, but the Hornadys will be replaceable and the Nosler in question are no more..

Im not a fan of the Newer Hornady SS red tipped Hornady bullets. Much prefer the newer Nosler Hunting ballistic tip Nosler.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of both out of a 270 and either will work just fine.

Posts: 503 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MtElkHunter:
I have shot a lot of both out of a 270 and either will work just fine.

This ^^

Shot one batch up then when your done with them shoot the others up.

Should take less then a year to shoot up 600 bullets.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should take less then a year to shoot up 600 bullets.

Enfield is in the UK and shooting game with his .270, not prairie dogs. Three hundred of either bullet would probably last him a lifetime, which is why I'm sure he would like advice on which to hang his hat on.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was-am-always have been, a fan of the Nosler Solid Base.

I've exhausted my supply in most calibers and have moved on to something else ...except in my wife's 243 Win. At our age, she has well over a lifetime supply. We either have plenty or we're really old. Haha

If I had the chance, I'd buy the .277 Nosler SB bullets and enjoy the hell out of them for years to come.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
In which case I would take the less expensive batch, those bullets are so close performance wise it would make no difference at all, none!! Its a win, win, whatever he does..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some quick calculations:

Wife only shoots the Nosler SB at deer or antelope and has been averaging one shot = one animal, every other year on average, for many years now.

As near as I can tell, she has over a 400 year supply when I figure her "one shot every other year" number!

We won't shoot them all but the kids will some day.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I would work up a load with what you have, then buy the Nosler and work up a load with them.
Shoot whichever shoots the best. As far as how well they work I doubt the deer will know the difference.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeke, should you ever get down in your cups and need a little cash, I could use a couple of boxes of those red and black boxes for my 270 and Idaho deer!!Used them years ago and they sure work.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
but the same amount of Nosler .277" 150 grain spitzer in the black and red boxes (new old stock).

Both of those bullets will work great on deer. Hopefully you picked up both, or at least the Nosler
Solid base bullets

280 Remington
150 yards / 150lb hog
140gr Nosler Solid Base (Factory Federal load)
weighed 97.4 grains

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I am something of a cheap sob when it comes to bullets, so one might expect me to say go with the Hornadys. But in all honesty after having used them both quite a bit I prefer Noslers. I think they are easier to get accuracy from and they just make a great bullet. I wouldn't hesitate to use either on deer though. If the Hornadys perform well in your rifle then you're good to go.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
push comes to shove and I like to try all the new stuff, but I always have my best luck with the old Nosler partition with 25 caliber and up..Not in the 22 and 6MM wherein I prefer cup and core bullets.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to have a nice supply of the old Nosler solid base 150gr 270 bullets and also the Hornady bullets with excellent results from both. May I suggest 150 gr Speer Grand Slams? Don't seem to hear much about them these days but I consider them a very well priced premium bullet and while I don't use my 270 on elk anymore, I have had great success in the past with it and 150 Grand Slams.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using them for internet deer or real world deer? If internet deer premium bullets are required and probably only then in a magnum. Real world deer plain old cup and core and even in non magnums, placed right you'll need a sharp knife.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
We have had great luck with 130g CoreLokt Factory ammunition on deer and elk (omg corelokts?), but when I haven't been lazy I handload 150g Partitions for all big game.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 120 grn NSB in my dozen or so 6.5 cal rifles for deer and caribou. Never had a complaint about accuracy or performance across a broad vel difference in my 6.5's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old Nosler SB were good bullets. I used 180 grain in my '06 to take everything from coyotes to elk and never had a complaint with them. Down to my last half box now and would like to find more.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
They should put those solid bases on the Partitions and Swift should put them on the A-Frames as well

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 130 gr. in my 270 for deer size game, Nosler partitions, Rem corelokts, WW silvertips Hornadys...they all work fine. For elk same bullets but 150,

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120