New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes XLC in a338 win mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anybody have any experience with these bullets? I was thinking about the 210gr.I'm curious about accuracy and the amount of fouling from these bullets.

Posts: 91 | Location: Milan Tenn. | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used them. But the consensus on this forum seems to be that the Triple Shock X is a much superior bullet in terms of both accuracy and fouling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 338 really likes the 225gr TSX I would try the 210 TXS if you are interested in a 210. I don't see much use for the 210 TSX, Its just too close to the 185 and 225 TSX.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have used the 185gr in my 338-06 accurate but the blue coating gets on your seater. I have recovered one from the range it weighed 165gr./90% and that was coming out of sand.I also recovered some Accubond 225gr from the same area which weighed 110gr./48%. I'm switching to the 185 TSX this year as I get better groups with them and about the same fouling, meaning I have to clean the bbl after 20 rds.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 225 grain XLC has been the least accurate bullet I have ever fired through my 338-06. The 225 TSX makes groups less than half the size

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
Josh, if I was going to use a Barnes bullet I would go with the Triple Shocks in the heavier weight. My own preference for that type of bullet has been the 230 grain FailSafe and I've never regretted it.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Although my .338 shoots the XLCs pretty well, the TSXs are quite a bit better. I recommend you try them first. I know Barnes claims they aren't going to discontinue XLCs any time soon, but I think TSXs will be around much longer based on their apparent success. Just something else to think about.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing to remember is that ever since Barnes came out with the TSX they have been dropping a number of the XLC's from their line. Go with the TSX no matter what the caliber. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I will try the TSX's. Do you think they will offer a moly coated triple shock?. Lazzaroni's lazzerheads are , but they ain't cheap!!

Posts: 91 | Location: Milan Tenn. | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While Barnes may be dropping SOME XLC's from their line they have really been dropping original X-bullets...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to coat the TXS's ???

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Why would you want to coat the TXS's ???

Don't see the need. Lawdog
Wink

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
one of us

Lawdog_Gary I was refering to Josh Thorpe who asked if Barnes might moly Coat the TXS's and I was wondering why he would want them coated

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
jwp475

I was just throwing in my $.02. Didn't mean to step on any toes. Lawdog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spoken with Ty at Barnes about a coated TSX bullet, and they tried that already. They did not have any significant increase in performance over a non coated TSX, hence did not introduce it. Hope that helps!

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have not used the .338 XLC but have used them in my 7mm RM and they turned in some of the best groups for me ever!(most shots were touching) Midway had them in bulk boxes on closeout last fall and I bought 8 or 10 boxes of them. I also got some 115gr for the .25-06 and they grouped well. My 338WM shoots the "old" X's pretty well, but not as well as lead core bullets of every other flavor I tried.

My .338 WM is not very picky though. I shoot 250gr. Woodleigh PP and get better groups from it than many get with thier varmint rifles. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote