Find
Notify
Tools

.300 RUM hunting-experiences ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hallo Guys.

I have a .300 RUM and I'm fasinated by it..

-The very high velocity of the cartridge makes it do things that other rifles can not.(?) (-These cartridges being even bigger and more powerfull than the .300 RUM!)

If you will please;
-Share some hunting episodes that you have had with the .300 RUM.

chr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHR, I took a 300 RUM to Africa on a Plains Game hunt 10 years or so ago. I took 16 animals with 17 cartridges...Zebra took 2 to keep him from getting down into a steep riverbed. I used 200gr Partitions on Kudu, Zebra, and Wildebeast, and 180gr Sciroccos on other animals. It saved my Gemsbok hunt, when I had to take a 418 yard shot across a valley after a full day of stalking him. The cartridge works as claimed...it may be excessive on most game at normal ranges, but can handle the challenge of large animals and long distance.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting squeeze, Winkelmeister has a custom (ultra-light) 300 RUM with a 28" pencil-thin tube (as should be w/this cartridge).

He had it made as a Sheep rifle since carrying it alot was part of the game.

It's a Helluva Whumper on both ends and if you can concentrate on the shot without getting too wound up about the pummeling you're about to take it's a REAL shooter.

It'll put 3 165 gr. Sciroccos inside a dime at 100 meters.

I've seen him take alot of game with it.

I'm a 300 Witherbee kinda Guy and if it wasn't that I already owned a 300 Whizz-Bang I'd purchase a .300 RUM without hesitation.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry, good point....I've had a number of 300 RUM and 300 Wby rifles, and I don't see much of a difference in performance. For people hung up about a belted cartridge, the RUM will satisfy them, but I certainly wouldn't sell an accurate 300 Wby to buy a 300 RUM.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom made by Martin Menke in Germany on Sako L61 action with 26" Shilen barrel and like it a lot. What I enjoyed most was to Namibia for plains game and it performed very impressively. Due to time pressure and workload I used Rem factory ammo with 180 grain Partitions, perfect. I like all the 300 and especially the H&H but in terms of accuracy the RUM is very impressive.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Antelope deer elk. all bang flop

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudos to all you Rambo shooters who can handle calibers like the .300 RUM. It did not take long after the introduction for used gun racks to fill up with guns in this caliber (and .30-378 Wby, etc). We are all infatuated by the numbers, but reality has an unfortunate way of reasserting itself....

For those of you who can shoot the "ultra" calibers well, I doubt there are much better options for heavy plains game at long range.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The .338 RUM is on my list

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
The RUM is my caliber of choice in the mountains. When down to the wire with a cross canyon shot, why not have the baddest .308 in your hands?

No offense to weatherby, but that case burns a lot more powder for a marginal at best performance boost.

But it still comes down to shot placement. If you can tame the beast and feel solid shooting it, it's a great round.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a 300 RUM for 5 years now. It has proven to be an outstanding big game hunting cartridge. My go to load has been 168gr Barnes TSX @ 3340fps. With this load 4 black bears, three moose, and two carabou and fallen without a hitch. Farthest being a really nice coastal black bear shot at over 300 yards. I have yet to find a bullet even on a lengthwise shot on a bull moose at 200 yards, entered in the rump and exited out the chest. Its really hard to argure with that kind of performance.

I have had 300, 338, and now 375 RUMs. They have all performed very well. I have always been impressed with how accurate they all are. My 300 will regular shoot under .75 MOA out to 300 yards, my 375 RUM will do under an inch with boring regularity with 270gr TSX @ 2950fps.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a .300 RUM and I'm fasinated by it..

The very high velocity of the cartridge makes it do things that other rifles can not.(?)

Chr,

At what distance do you plan to use your 300 RUM?
What bullet and what would be the antelope?
What muzzle velocity do you get?

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I've taken about 25 animals with my .300 RUM and it's a very effective round with premium bullets. I have used Nosler Partitions and TSX bullets with good results. Used 200grn TSX's in Namibia on zebra, kudu and oryx with no problems. Last five elk have traveled a total of 15 yards after being hit. It kicks like a mule but I have no problem with recoil under hunting conditions. Excellent all around cartridge if you are not a gun hoarder. I would hunt any animal in North America with this gun without hesitation including coastal grizzlies.

With 200grn TSX bullets you can expect good accuracy and amazing penetration.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I'm with Biebs and and the others who think it's a great round (although mine is a 30-378WBY - essentially the same).

Amazing reach and deadly accurate if you do your part.

Recoil isn't as brutal as some would have you believe - evn from the bench and far less in field positions.

Good luck with the RUM - you will be satisfied!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, try shooting a dozen rounds from the bench without the factory muzzle brake on the end. Then come back and tell us this recoil business with my rifle is a piece of cake. LOL

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I can't shoot more than 6 or 7 rounds without having a headache! Sometimes wonder if i'm actually giving myself a mild concussion at each shooting session.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've killed two elk and one mule deer with my 300 RUM. It does a great job on elk (and of course deer). It has a muzzle brake, and in the situations I use it in, I have time to put in earplugs before firing.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1170 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken whitetail and antelope with mine using Remington 180 grain swift scirroco and Federal 180 grain trophy tips thinking of trying some barnes ammo out of it

Posts: 130 | Location: PA | Registered: 23 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington Sendero - one of the originals, not the current ones, with a Jewel trigger and a Vias muzzle brake. I usually shoot the factory Remington Sciroccos.

It is super accurate and it best long range. I agree it's a great mountain, open plains rifle.

Probably wouldn't buy one again , though.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Shot a wild hog with my old RUM at about 30yards. Had fun with it at the shooting range but I think it kicked more than my .458! Mine was a Savage.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote