New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 ultra
 Login/Join

<travis20032003>
posted
If a person was gonna build a 300 RUM long range bag gun what action would he need? Is there anyplace that sells actions(remington)alone?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Travis,

Just get a Remington 700 SF Sendaro in 300 RUM.

Or perhaps try the Lazzeroni/Sako TRG-s in 7.82 Warbird (.308)

The Sendaro is more of a "target" rifle.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Travis,I am working on a light bench gun now in 300 Rum.It is a Sendero based gun with a 30" Hart barrel..I just shot a 10" 10 shot 1022 yard group sunday with it.I Did'nt even weigh my cases.No neck turning,nothing..Put in the powder,seated the bullet.C.O.L of the 10 I shot sunday was 3.60......The c.o.l of my gun is 3.680....Just loaded up some 240 MK's to try....Thing's are looking good....

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

[This message has been edited by Boyd Heaton (edited 04-24-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
There was a question over on falfiles.com on "what was the best 'sniper' rifle"? Several people posted back photos of the Savage model with the fat barrel.

Amazing isn't it? Some folks want "the look" and pay several thousand dollars for a "sniper rifle" then people like Boyd go out and shoot, in what is basically a stock rifle, fantastically small groups.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mate and I have both ordered Armalite bolt action AR 30 .338 Lapua Magnum rifles which are to be shipped in September (I hope), so I am interested in the shots made with the .300 RUM at 1022 yards. If I can hit a pig in the chest at 800 yards with this AR 30 I will be happy. Travis it might be a rifle you might like to look into. It is on the Armalite website.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Buy a Cheap Rem 700 ADL and save only the action. Have it trued, and blueprinted by someone who really knows Rem 700's like Greg Tannel.Install a Shilen, hart or kreiger barrel, a jewell trigger and a McMillan stock and you are on you way. I personally agree that the 300 Rum is a great cartridge and have no doubts about it at long range.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Roger,Funny is'nt it!!!!!!I had the World record holder in the Light gun class talking to me about the gun.....He also shoot's a 300 RUM.....The true test will be May 4th at Willimsport.I am hoping 8 inches or smaller.And this is from a 12 pound carry gun....We'll see......

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

posted Hide Post
Hey guys, There are some people "overseas" that took along 2 300 RUM's. Documented 1st round hits at 1200 yd.s

Good shootin!!!

and yes, Boyd, they were using MatchKings.

[This message has been edited by djd (edited 04-28-2002).]

Posts: 9 | Location: usa | Registered: 13 June 2002Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
I suppose if your looking for a bench gun, putting a new barrel on the action would be a given.

Now as far as a hunting rifle goes, the gun which I have in that caliber, a Winchester model 70 stainless pre-64 action will shoot under 1MOA off the bench with handloads.

<confused>
posted
Would the 7mm/.338 RUM be a good long range bench cartridge(also for hunting too though) to build a gun for or should a newbie stick to .300 cal.

[This message has been edited by confused (edited 04-28-2002).]

<zadok>
posted
I thinking of picking up one in the
Rem VLS $540.00 If it shoots anything
like my other VLSs I'll be more than happy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Confused,

The 338 RUM is about .090 shorter than the 300, 7mm, & 375 RUMs.

MY $.02, if you're thinking Rem 700 RUMs and want to go 7mm get the 7mm RUM.

Don't discount the 7 STW either.

I've had both a 700 SF Sendaro in 7mm RUM and the 700 SF Sendaro in STW.

the STW outperformed the RUM - go figure.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Travis are you looking for strictly a bench gun or do you want to hunt with it also?

Posts: 131 | Location: Tacoma Wa. | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
<travis20032003>
posted
It would be strictly a bench gun because i dont know what a person would hunt with a 40 lb 300RUM, itd be a little bit overkill for varmints and too heavy for deer hunting