New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for a .300Winmag
 Login/Join

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I've just purchased a .300 winmag (Ruger M77). The majority of shooting I intend to do is 200 yard plus, hunting, no bench matches. What scope should I use?
I think a 3-9 is too little and was thinking a 4-12x 50 or similar... or is a 50mm apature too bulky for hunting? If I had the $$$ I'd probably top it with a 56 Kahles but I'm a poor simple Australian whoose dollar is only about 54 US cents, I'm almost thinking two jam jars back to back and draw a reticle with a pen ...well almost...
In truth I can probably afford a 3-9x40 leopauld or similar...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a fixed 6x scope of some sort would work good for your situation .....

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Take a look at the refurbished Burris scopes offered by Natchez Shooter Supply, www.natchezss.com I have had very good luck with them. Great scopes for someone on a budget.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son use a Leupold 6x42 fixed on his 25-06 for roedeer hunting, and it is a lot of scope for the money. It got the same coating as the Vari x III scopes, and is a thrue performer.

The 3-9x40 is neighter fish nor fowl in my opinion, even though I have had a few of them my self over the years. Now I set up my rigs specific for the intended use / hunting, and the 3-9 x 40 has no place in my cabinet anylonger.

So for long range hunting with that 300 winnie, I would go for the fixed 6x42.

Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried higher power variables like 4-12 and 4.5-14 on my longer-range big game guns, and every time I've pulled them off an gone back to a 3-9 Leupold (the 3.5-10 would also be just fine if you insist on paying an extra $200).

At 9X you have plenty of power for anything big enough to warrant using a .300 Winchester as far away as you would want to (try) to shoot it. At 3X, you have plenty of field of view for close, brushy, or quick situations.

The higher power variables have more critical eye relief and alignment than those in the 3-9 range, so even when set at the same intermediate power, they are slower to use.

And by all means, stay away from those silly 50mm objectives. They force you to mount the scope so high that proper eye alignment is impossible with your cheek in the right place on the comb, and they just add weight and bulk.

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 05-09-2002).]

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Stonecreek is 100% correct on this.

If there was a good, inexpensive fixed power avaiable right now that's what I would be buying but the economies of scale make the variables a better buy.

I just put a 4-12X VariXII on my .300 Win Mag for testing purposes. It makes a big, heavy clumsy rifle even more so.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Stonecreek is right on (as usual). I put a 3.5x10x40mm Leupold VX-3 on my 300 WM and IMHO, it is ideal for the caliber. The 3-10 or 3-9x40 size balances well and is proportional without being too bulky. I have also used Leupold 6x42's in the past on various rifles. They are very good scopes (and would be even better if they had 1/4 MOA click adjustments). However, there are times when I prefer higher magnification, like when load testing at the range and lower magnification is better when hunting in mixed cover.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have a 6X42 leupold on my 7mm RM and think it is a great scope.Very good in the late afternoon and at dawn.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty hunter I would either choose the 3-9 x 40 VX 1 leupold or my preference for a .300 win mag would be the 2-7x33 heaps of eye releif good field of view and good price. They are reasonably small compact scope to. This is what I have on my .416 Rigby and it suits the rifles applications. For a big game rifle you do not need any more than a 3-9.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 2-7 that PC mentions is the great overlooked scope today. I have one on a .375 H & H, .308, and .243. If you are shooting truly long range at smallish game, you may wish for just a bit more magnification than its 6.6 power, but it is rarely needed. On the other end, it has a really wide field which makes it among the fastest scopes for target acquisition. Along with the 2.5-8, it is among the most versitile scopes made, and is of a pleasing size and appearance.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
Thanks all for your input...
I bought a 2nd hand 3-9x42 Kahles. The price was right, It's coming from the same mate who I bought the rifle off.
..I'm a great believer in Kahles scopes too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see you already got a scope. I was going to recomend the 6.5x20 Leupold if you could scrape up the cash. You said you had a limited budget and I can understand that. I topped my .300 mag. with one 12 years ago and have never regreted spending the money. It is a bit bulky but I only use the rifle for hunting fields off of bipods. No carrying the bulky gun in the woods.

------------------
Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I use a 3-9 leupold on my 300 and would not want any other

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Same rifle, same caliber. Go for the Leupold...hands down. Excelent value. If poosible to afford, a Vari X III. Regards, Gustavo

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote