Find
Notify
Tools

8x60mmJ Ernst Stiegleder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
Doing a search didn’t bring up anything. Anyone have any information on this caliber? Just picked up a rifle chambered in this and am looking for load information, where to find components, etc...

Being the J im assuming its .318" bore diameter. Will need to do a chamber casting and measure bore diameter to check things.
If that’s the case my bullet options are pretty limited. Also for cases I’m guessing taking 7x65 cases, necking them up to 8mm and trimming to 60 is about my only option.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Im waiting on delivery of this little gem. It’s a pre-ww2 custom sporter rifle built on a Mauser 98 action in tradition German style. Caliber is 8x60mmJ, a bit of an odd ball. Will be perfect for deer or even up to elk and moose.

I’ve always wanted an example of an early German sporter. They didn’t cut many corners on them. The barrel on this one changes from octagon to round, and the full length rib and sling mount are machined integral. On anything but modern CNC machines the barrel alone has days of work in just contouring. Draw filing, polishing, and the matting of the rib is additional. A select few do this today at astronomical prices.

The rifle is missing its rings for the German claw mounts. I have a guy who can find some and fit them. For a Quick-release setup they are as good as it gets. Very stout, repeatable if fit correctly, and takes seconds to remove the scope in case iron sights become a priority. Another costly piece and usually only seen on the best guns of today.

The engraving done tastefully and well with traditional hammer and chisel methods.

The rifle has seen its years. Not abused, just showing it’s use. The color case hardening and bluing that adorned the rifle have since been removed in carry areas. The bore is in fair condition only showing light frosting. I’m still undetermined if I’ll restore it.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice find!

My understanding is that after WWI Germans weren't allowed to own rifles chambered in 8x57 so the 8x60 chambering was developed as an easy conversion for those who owned 8x57 rifles so they could keep using their guns.

It's discussed here:
https://www.ballisticstudies.c...e/8x57JS+Mauser.html

It's also in Cartridges of the World 8th edition which gives some loads but mentions there were a lot of different loads available. It was available in .318 as well as .323 cal.

COTW also shows a pic of a commercial Mauser similar to yours but not quite as fancy, called a "No. 40" saying it's sighted for 300m, weighing 6 1/2 pounds and available in 7x57, 8x60, 9x57, 9.3x64, 10.75x68. So it seems that it wasn't just ex military rifles that were rechambered to 8x60, new offerings of the time were 8x60 as well to replace 8x57.

I hope to find something similar myself so thanks for sharing your find with us.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Aaron, Graffs has 8x60s brass for $53 per 100. Lots easier!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Brno mod 21H (manlicher) in 8x60, its the probably the equal of a 338-06 or 35 whelen with proper handloads in a proper mauser..Mine is a 323 bore, so bullets are easy to come by..PPU makes good brass, and I have some RWS that came with it..Its a decent deer and elk caliber..I like really like it..Have only hunted with it a little bit, got some whitetail and Javalina with it, a mule deer and a friend has shot a number of elk with it. It is rare in the Brno 21s and probably more of a collector than using gun, but I hunt with it anyway. Its really accurate and fast with heavy bullets..kills quickly and leaves good bit short blood trails. performs best with H414 and has a long throat and magazine. I buy brass and bullets from graffs and Midway, brass is as cheap as 30-06..

You can swage .318 bullets from .323 bullets Im told..but I would definatly slug that bore, it could easily be a .323 bore most are..

ONe thing often over looked in the old English and German rifles is you get a full rib tossed in for almost nothing..That rib on a new rifle, custom or otherwise fetches $2500 or more..think about that, the old guns are a great buy based on that alone IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a rimless round which can be easily made from .30-06 brass, or any .30-06 derivative case which is at least 2.37" long. Regular 8x57 dies will work if you back the dies off of the shellholder about .012" and use an expander for a .318 bullet.

Finding a supply of .318" bullets can be difficult. However, some "J" bore rifles will accept a standard 8mm bullet.

Although the groove diameter of the "J" (actually a German "I" for infantry) cartridges is nominally .318", if the neck portion of the chamber will accommodate a cartridge with a .323" bullet then the larger bullet will be swaged down upon firing. Naturally, you should back off from maximum loads as a precaution, but a .005" oversized lead core bullet won't raise pressures all that much and will typically provide surprising accuracy. But, DON'T TRY THIS WITH A MONOMETAL BULLET SUCH AS BARNES!

If the chamber won't accept the oversized bullets then you can get a die to swage down .323 lead core bullets to the .318" diameter.

If you can't find loading data for the 8x60 then simply use 8x57 data as a starting point and work up from there.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh makes .318" diameter bullets as does Hawk Bullets.
I have no experience with either but I think the Hawk bullets are considered rather soft.

Indeed, the 8x60 was developed in Germany after WW I. It seems it used to be quite popular in Central and Western Europe and also in Africa - e.g. Finn Aagaard wrote about experiences with it.

I think that performance-wise it is very close to the 8x57.

Brass could probably be made out of 8x60S cases. Not too long ago RWS was still loading 8x60S ammunition so you might find some.

BTW found these links Ammo-one grafs.com.
Prvi makes it (8x60S not 8x60J) but I have no idea about the availability in the U.S.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The history of the 8x60 is that when Germany lost WWI her army was restricted in size by the Treaty of Versailles to 100,000 men AND more importantly regarding the 8x60 to a certain number of rifles (and pistols) AND AMMUNITION STOCKS.

The linked article is flawed as it isn't the full story. So whilst some of the below confirms what the article says it also deals with the articles major omission...ammunition stocks.

The schedules of the Versailles Treaty came into effect in 1920. All weapons for the Army were counted. This is the origin of Luger pistols stamped 1920. Ammunition was restricted to being 400 rounds allowed per rifle...so that total ammunition stock the Army could hold was about 40 million rounds.

Now that's all well and good. But Germany having just fought (and lost) that war had a huge number of demobilised soldiers who had had military training.

So the concern of the victors was that these men could be hidden as a reserve army by being formed into "rifle shooting clubs" and the club's ammunition stocks be in fact a means of circumventing the meagre ammunition holding allowed by the Treaty.

So the Treaty did two things. First it prohibited German rifle clubs fromm having any sort of military training function and by extension led to 8x60.

For the second thing only the Army were allowed rifles in 8x57 and all rifles other than those had to be altered to a) make them unable to use the 8x57 and b) meant that these rifle clubs 8x60 ammunition was useless as a clandestine reserve stock of ammunition (by being that 1mm long on the neck and 2mm long on the body) as it wouldn't chamber.

So the 8x60. Which cleverly cannot safely use 8x57 and yet also uses ammunition that can't chamber in an 8x57 rifle.

FWIW I owned one and have to say that it is actually a better cartridge that the 8x57.

Yet now that France five years ago followed Belgium and now allows "rifles capable of chambering ammunition used in military arms" for hunting it will become a cartridge that will now become obsolete.

Enjoy your rifle. You have a fine weapon with an interesting back story. Oh...you can make, from memory, cases by simply running 30-06 through a 8x60 die and then trim them.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can send you some loads if you will email with a request to rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com..

I can beat my 8x57 by 150 FPS or more. Its cheaper and much less trouble to buy 8x60 brass from Privi Partisan (PPU) from Grafs or Midway, at about $53.00 per 100 last I bought..cheap as 30-06 cases and its some of the best brass Ive ever used..RCBS mades dies, best to go on the internet, I got new RCBS dies for $35.00 on the net. I saw some lately for $53.00 new on Ebay.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the rifle a few weeks now, lovely little thing. I had thoughts of boring it to 9.3x62, but the rifles petite nature had other ideas. The bore is in great condition and I’ve found someone who will make loads for me. It stays 8x60mmJ.

Thought I’d share some more interesting traits. Take notice the shaping of the trigger guard bow, as well as the flats filed into the action ring to accommodate a narrow forend. Stamps on the barrel have dated it at 4/33.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting post Alf, I printed it out for future reference..

BTW I have one of the rare Brno mod. 21H rifles in 8x60 and I can duplicate a 35 Whelen or 8mm-06 with ease and crowd the factory 338 ammo..

Aaron, your mauser would be well worth a face lift, a rust blue and refinished stock would make an awesome rifle and the value would shoot sky high with that barrel contour..

As a matter of fact its for sale in my list of sale guns on AR Firearms only Adds..

A great caliber and rifle, but a duplication of several other calibers I own..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall at one time the Nosler Partition was a two diameter bullet, Don't know it that is still in effect, probably not..I believe those were the old lathe turned bullets, but wouldn't swear to it...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120