Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 and 9.3x62 or .30-06
 Login/Join

<FyrvaktBoy>
posted
Hello!
I live in Sweden and am about to start hunting. Still I haven�t got any rifle but think I will get a Sauer 202. The main problem is what caliber I�ll get. I have only tried 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser and think it is great for shooting practice (and rather cheap).

I will hunt everything that is available in Sweden. I don�t know if it is better to get a 6.5x55 for shooting practice and then get an extra barrel 9.3x62 for big game lika elk, or just get a .30-06 for everything. And whatabout recoil? How are these calibers to shoot?

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
FyrvaktBoy,

6.5X55 for small game I know that old Swedish guys hunt elk with this caliber.

30/06 is a little bit more efficient than 6.5X55 on deer size animals. But with this caliber you have a hude selection of bullets and of weight of bullets from 110gr till 220 gr.

9.3X62 is very good for wild boar, elk and all other animals with same size.

If you have the budget for 2 calibers my choice will be 30/06 and 9.3X62. You can hunt all animals in Sweden with these 2 calibers.

The recoil of 9.3X62 is a little bit more than 30-06. But if you find the recoil of 6.5X55 mopre thna tolerable you'll have no problems with the 2 other calibers. But recoil is different for all people.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frykavkt Boy,

I have a recently purchased Sako 9.3 x 62mm Stainless/Synthetic which so far has been a great gun (early days mind you!).

Recoil over the bench I have found to be a little more than the 30-06 but not unbearable. I have just had a Recoil Pad fitted and expect this to make the gun a lot more comfortale to shoot at the range. In the bush however I do not think you would notice the recoil.

You can shoot anything with this calibre in Scandinavia and if you ever get the chance to go to Africa, with the right projectile the 9.3 will do very nicely on Cape Buffalo and even Elephant!

As a second calibre I would certainly consider the 6.5 x 55 but what about the 270 Winchester which is a good flat shooting cartridge and would compliment your 9.3x62!

I think the 270 would be a better bet than the 6.5x55mm and give you more versatility combined with the 9.3x62mm than the 6.5 or the 30-06 combined with then 9.3x62mm.

The 30-06 is starting to overlap with the 9.3 and neither is as flat shooting as the 270Winchester.

However at the end of the day you will not make a serious mistake with any of these calibres.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dingo if you don't mind me asking what is a sako stainless synthetic in 9.3x62 worth??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Lets see...I have five 30/06, two 9.3 x 62 and a 260 Remington...that is as close as I can come to the 6.5. Like the one gentleman said..you will not make a bad choice with any of the three. Get a couple and start buring powder...time is a wasting! [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you're hooked on the 9.3, it's hard not to recommend it. In theory you probably could do quite a bit of hunting with it, 232 grain bullets for lighter game and 286/300 grain bullets for the big guys, with 250 and 270 grain bullets in the middle for what have you. I think though, if you're looking for a nice 30 cal rifle to use for deer and smaller game, 308 might not be a bad idea either. however, to stick within the realms of the parameters of your question, get the 6.5 for the light stuff, then is you're on a budget, chose which ever of the two (30/06 9.3x62) is cheaper and cme back for the other later on.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
I would get the 6.5x55 and 9.2x62 barrels or just do with the '06 by itself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FyrvaktBoy, I have Sauer 202s in 30-06, 270Win, 6.5x55, and 375HH. Yes there is quite a bit of overlap between the calibers, but I still would like to acquire a 9.3x62 barrel. Would seem to round out things rather nicely.

But to get started, you can do no wrong with either of the calibers. Remember, you ARE just getting started. Pick the 6.5x55 or 270 and learn to shoot it well. As time goes by and knowledge increases, you will by better able to decide which calibre should be acquired next.

Just remember, that you do absolutely need several barrels for that 202. That's why they make them! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Best of luck to you,
Bill in NE

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have an �06, fine. Use 180 grs or 200 Nosler Part for big game, 180 grs cheapos or 165 grs Hornadies for smaller game.

A combo of 9.3x62 AND 6.5x55 is ( slightly ) more versatile. 286 grs Premium bullets for moose, 140 grs for smaller game. 125 grs Nosler Part gives a fine, flat shooting round.

Frankly, except for the 6.5 being on the weak side for Moose, all are all-around-calibers. E.G., as mentioned above, 9.3 Norma 232 grs Vulcan or 250 grs Nosler BT for everything under Moose.

I am considering changing my �06 to 6.5-06 to accompany my 9.3x62.

Does the same bolt head fit all those cases? `06 and x62 is close or identical, but x55 is definitely larger - ??

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<FyrvaktBoy>
posted
"I am considering changing my �06 to 6.5-06 to accompany my 9.3x62.

Does the same bolt head fit all those cases? `06 and x62 is close or identical, but x55 is definitely larger - ??"

It is the same bolt head for 6.5x55, .30-06 and 9.3x62. That is what I have read in some tests in swedish journals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5x55 case head is slightly larger, but there is enough room/play to accomaodate its size easily, on my 202 when I added the swede barrel.

Forgot to mention that the shell plate for my Hornady press that is for 30-06 size cases also fits the 6.5x55. I once saw a chart that did not have a listing for the swede, so was happy that it worked well with the existing shell plate.

[ 06-07-2002, 20:26: Message edited by: Bill in NE ]

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
You should try what kind of recoil you can stand before you buy a rifle. It is easyer to buy two used rifles than a shift barrel system. You will always have the wrong barrel on then you want to hunt or practice. If you a�nt a reloader you might be well of whith a 6,5 for cheap ammo. It is better with cheep rifle/ammo than a expesive one so you can practice a lot.
It is a fine moose cartridge (even if some people doesnt agree). A 6,5-06 doesnt offer any advantage for moose but the flater trajectory is great for top birds.

us english �lg = moose
kronhjort = elk

MVH Kimmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC

A Sako in Stainless Synthetic is about $1850 Australian Dollars, give or take about $100 depending in the size of the action of which there are 3 sizes.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dingo what part of the country are you from??

Do you know if the cz in 9.3x62 is offered in Australia?? and in what configuration, the lux, American or the Battue (very short 20" barrel)this was the model that interests me actually.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
PC,

All CZ that you can find in Australia are the same than in EU.
All these following models are in 9.3X62

CZ 550 Standard or Lux with a 23.5" barrel
CZ 550 Full Stock with a 20" barrel
CZ 550 Battue with a 22" or a 20" barrel

For me the best barrel lenght is 23.5"

All CZ with a 20" barrel are only for short distance shooting, in general in "battue" in the EU woods. With the 23.5" barrel, the rifle is more versatile and is god for longer shooting distance than 20".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ber007, Your right I would rather the velocity. I like the look of the Lux model. Can you mount a scope on the Battue model??, I like that model as it looks unique with that ramp sight set up, the battue with the 22" barrel would be alright you would not lose to much over the Lux 23.5"

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
PC,

For the battue model you can mount a scope, but not specify in the CZ manual. I have checking the picture of the CZ550 battue and I have seen scope mounts receiver.

P.S. the medium Lux is good too [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ber007, I like the look of the stock on the Lux more than I like the stock on the American.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
PC,
Ber007, I like the look of the stock on the Lux more than I like the stock on the American.[/QUOTE]

I think like you [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love CZ to come out with some stainless synthetic varients. The prices are good enough however that you can purchase a sythetic stock and stil be in front of other brands. This is what I did with my CZ .416 Rigby. The whole setup with a custom stock still worked out cheaper than buying a sako, win, rem or ruger in the same cal. And I am adamant there as good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two things I dislike on my CZ ( or any ).

The stock has too much drop and the angle of the butt plate is wrong. Still recoil in 9.3x62 is no problem, just a shove. There is no "kick". Also if I shoulder the CZ and my Win 70 side by side, the Win is "better". The CZ is instantly on target though.

The factory markings on the left side of the receiver are too large. Anybody who wants to know what gun, will find smaller ones, too. And smaller and more decent markings would add to a classy look.

There are CZ scope mounts. Not quick detach, you need a socket head key. Reportedley they should return to zero. There are no mounts per se, the CZ 550 action is principally a "double sqare bridge Mauser style action". No holes to weaken the receiver, no extra mounts necessary, rings will do ( Warne, Talley )( or mount with rings included - CZ ).

I know the x55 is a unique case. It doesn�t fit my Win 70 bolt head. If I relieve it slightly, it will probably work with both cases. Fine to hear about convertibility. If we want to split hairs: the 9.3x62 and the 6.5x65 and the 6x62 case head is somewhat dissimilar to the standard Mauser bolt head. Its possible to convert cases, I just mentioned it. I had quite some writings with ALF about what a standard Mauser case head is ;-)

So - if in doubt buy a .30-06! ( be careful: in Sweden where is your reason to buy another gun? Never tell those officials about high power loadings!! )

I have one. For bigger things I have a 9.3x62 ( short barrel ). BER007 is wright, that the 9.3x62 deserves a long barrel, I intend to correct my decision by buying a long barreled .375 :-)) Otherwise the two calibers are too close. Honestly, for only European hunting no .375 is necessary ( Ray recommends a 9.3x62 with 26" barrel )

"Under" the �06 I have a .222. There is something still missing in between. 243 is too weak for chamois at long range, so 6.5-06, 6.5x55 in an Ultralite, 6.5x65 in a break open?

Decisions, decisions ...

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What velocities are people getting with the 26" Tube from the 9.3x62 ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fyrvakt Boy
Just my two cents of worth...If you have a budget that can handle a Sauer with change barrels, I would rather go for two rifles. One in 6,5x55 for practicing and roedeer, and one in 9,3x62 for the red deer and the moose.

Then you are set up to take on everything on four legs both in Europe and US / Canada, and most of the African hunting as well.

Kimmo E...not to be nitpicking but the Red deer and the Elk( Wapiti ) are two different species.
The "kronhjort" is the Capital Red stag. [Wink]

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
PC,
What velocities are people getting with the 26" Tube from the 9.3x62 ??[/QUOTE]

With french powder Vectan
231 gr bullet at 2500 fps in a 26" barrel
258 gr bullet at 2428 fps in a 26" barrel
286 gr bullet at 2346 fps in a 26" barrel

With Norma factory loads
232 gr bullet at 2625 fps in a 26" barrel
286 gr bullet at 2360 fps in a 26" barrel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no flys on those figures Ber007, not much that would not stop really.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
There is no flys on those figures Ber007, not much that would not stop really.

Have a 9.3X64, better velocity.

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Get a Tikka or Sako in 308win first.
If you'll do a lot of bear/boar hunting go up to the 9.3 after a while. The 308win will do all the game in Norway without to much fuss so it will probably work in Sweden to.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Arild, as a matter of fact they are one and the same. "Cervus Elaphus" and "Cervus Canadensis" are genetically compatible and will crossbreed. Differences in size (Elk grow heavier and do not develop crowned antlers) and behaviour (Reds don't whistle but roar and are more aggressive/territorial than Wapiti) are related to their respective living conditions . Expatriate an Elk to Europe and a Red deer to North America and, within a few generation, particularities will merge (genetic pollution ?)and you won't be able to tell one from the other. They are considered subspecies, the same as the smaller British deer or giant Siberian Maral but, in the end, they're actually more than close relatives. BTW, the same remark applies to the American moose and it's Scandinavian counterpart. They're all no more similar or different than White, Black and Asian people.

[ 06-13-2002, 22:20: Message edited by: Andr� Mertens ]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ber007,
the only advantage I see of the .375 H&H in Australia is brass & projectiles is available at your local Milk Bar. 9.3 stuff is a little harder to get here.

But the 9.3x64 is one idea that could work, I looked up the figures in my Aussie loading manual and the only problem is that our powders do not really get the full potential out of it like American & Euro powders. There is a bit of that going on in the loading manuals here. For example One would not get a .416 weatherby here in Australia as the powders to make it shine are really hard to get, yet the .416 Rigby uses an Aussie Powder AR2209 which gets excellent results which equal the .416 weatherby loading. The .416 weatherby's hottest loading however uses a powder quite hard to get. This is according to Nick Harvey's reloading manual 5th ed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre..
Thanks for correcting me on this one. [Embarrassed]
I didn�t know they where cousines, they look so different.

What about the giant Irish stag? Was it the same family as well ??
I saw some old and wery impressive antlers in Bunratty Castle last year, they were HUGE.

I belive they where hunted to distinction many years ago, but that must have been quite a thropy !!

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote