THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Federal Power-Shok 180 gr ammo, good performance.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Power-Shok 180 gr ammo, good performance.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi.

A mate and I went hunting this past weekend.

For a number of reasons I did not have time to sort out hand loads, and bought Federal Power-Shok 180 grain .30-06 ammo ( load no. 3006B )

We used this ammo on 2 black wildebeest, 3 blesbuck and a springbuck.

All but two animals were 1-shot kills, but the two that required extra bullets were due to poor shot placement.

The below bullets were recovered (from l-r)
1) blesbuck 202m, hit the spine. Core separation.
2) black wildebeest 195m, entered on shoulder, penetrated heart and lungs. Fragment of lead separated. Retained weight 125 gr (69 %)
3) black wildebeest 245m, quartering shot. Entered through the abdomen, passed through rumen, liver and then the heart. Retained weight 154 gr (86 %)

In all three cases the bullets were found under the skin on the far side and these were 1 shot kills

I usually use premium bullets in my hunting hand loads, and shall continue to do so. But I thought the good bullet performance deserved a mention.

Does Federal produce its own bullets, or would these be from another bullet manufacturer?

Cheers

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Many of their Power shock loads use Sierra bullets, some use other brands. I know for a fact that the 225 Grain 338 Win Mag uses a non catalog Sierra Pro Hunter. The .375 H&H 270 grain load is a Hornady RN.
Would be fairly easy to find out what bullet you were using.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote