Notify
Tools

Reloader 17 in the 7mm WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Guys,

I'm about to start loading for my Kimber 7mm WSM using the 116gr GS Custom HV.

Has anyone used RL 17 in the 7mm WSM? From what I understand, it is the optimum powder for the WSM's. I can also get it in good quantities as well.

The other powder I was considering was Win 760 as I have been able to reach good velocities with it in a 300 WSM I owned previously.

As per normal, all opinions greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using RL17 with 140gr Accubonds. I picked up at least 100fps over RL22 with better accuracy. When I get back home, I will post the load that I settled on.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am loading 61gr of RL17 with 140gr Accubonds and 61.5gr with 140gr Barnes TSX. The velocity on these was averaging around 3160fps. I started getting sticky extraction at 62gr and 62.5gr with velocity at 3250fps. I am using 65gr of RL17 with 180gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullets in my 300WSM with velocity at 3080fps.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what i have read RL-17 is great for the "short fat" mags but with heavier bullets. I use it in my 7mm SAUM 61grs i believe with a 139gr Hornady S.p. pretty accurate didnt chrono it yet....

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to 6mmbr.com there is an article on rl-17 in there you have to search around

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
click on 7mm link, sorry for all the post

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
For the 160gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in 7WSM, I used 60gr of RL17. Less than 3/4 MOA accuracy. Alliant says this should be around 2960 fps, I have not been able to chrony this yet but from a few of my buddies they are in the ballpark on it. It had the exact impact point as a factory loaded Federal Premium with the same bullet. Hope this helps, sorry I haven't tried any lighter bullets with it yet.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote