New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 accuracy
 Login/Join

<Adirondack Joe>
posted
I was just down at the local gun shop and I saw a Ruger #1-A Light Sporter in 7x57. I had to ask to handle it. OHHH BABY!!! What a sweet little rifle. So short, and with a 22" tube, too! MMMMMM!!! I think I am in love. The only thing is that I have heard that Ruger #1's are not accurate. The people tell me that the two piece stock results in 'inherent inaccuracy' Is this true?

Also, who here hunts with a single shot? How do you like it?

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Joe-

I'd disagree, partially. Yes, some #1's can be finicky, but I've seen some that are superbly accurate. Don't pass up a good rifle on rumor or reputation. If it's a good deal, buy it. Only then will you know. It's just like the reknowned accuracy of bolt actions. Yeah, for the most part, a good bolt is the way to go. On the other hand, I've seen some that weren't worth beans.

I happen to have a fondness myself for the Ruger #1. I don't blame you for loving that one on the rack. If it's a fair price, and good condition rifle, get it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I Have a #1 in 220 Swift.Traded a M77 Target rifle for it.Like you I love the #1's.As far as accuracy goes,I have no problem with mine.
You could ask a few of the chucks I shot with it but I don't think you'll get an answer!!If it's in good shape go for it

Posts: 112 | Location: Salisbury Mills,NY,USA | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JOe... Most accuracy problems can be fixed with R-1s... the main "problem" is the two peice stock... you can fix this by taking the forend stock off and exposing the forend hanger, where the coil is. On the end of the hanger will be a small block... drill and tap a small hole(you may want to use a mill for this, unless you have a very stiff drill press) and set a set screw in there to apply pressure to the barrel. I find that this cures most forend bedding problems. You might have to turn the set screw a few turns, this may move the forend hanger away a bit but dont worry. you will have to play with it at the range some. I find that this cures many mysterious R-1 groups.
Take care

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
smallfry-

Thanks for the hanger info. I knew of it, but wasn't sure enough of the details to post the info/procedure. Everyone that I've met that has tried it has gotten good results.

<dr280>
posted
My .280 #1 B, shoots .80 average 5 shot groups. I went with a Hicks Accurizer-which is the same thing as the screw. I still have to bed it to the stock- and then will play with it. Love my #1.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Some Ruger #1's I hear have not been accurate but that could be said about many brands.

I have owned three #1's and they all shot 1 MOA or better. I have not had to put pressure on the bbl. Instead I just free float the forend with a plastic washer between the hangar and forend.

One of the #1A's that I have was a 7mm Rem Mag and the twist was only 1-10. Even then it stabilized the 160 gr bullet for 30 years until the barrel really wore out. Now it has a 30/06 barrel on it. The 7mm had excessive headspace also but I liked the rifle so much I delt with it. Now with the 30/06 barrel it will shoot at least 1 MOA and it stays sighted in.

With that nice tang safety and trigger they are good shooting rifles. I really enjoy my #1's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several #1's and hunt with all of them. I can't say that I can blame any missed game on any of them. However my #1 7x57 is probably the least accurate of the bunch; it typically groups about 2-2.5" @100y.
For whatever reason it is 'blessed' with a very long throat (almost free-bored) and a chamber that is on the max. side. IMHO such things do not contribute to great accuracy. That said the rifle is a delight to carry and has killed several antelope with no problems whatsoever. The 7x57 seems to perform way better than it should.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I know a target shooter who bought a new M-77 in 7mm Mauser and it would not group for him either. They had barrels made by a subcontractor then and some of them were not very good.

But my old 7mm Mag would always hit where it was sighted in. My previous post did not make that clear. It was/is a very reliable rifle. It ended up a 30/06 because that's what I ordered in the 60's. When the rifle came in after a long wait (they were backordered) I was told by the dealer. "It's a 7mm Mag (with a 22" bbl yet). Take it or leave it and then I will buy it myself"

So when Ruger rebarreled it they do not make a 7mm mag anymore and I had my choice of cartridges. Of course I selected the King.

I would ask if you can shoot that #1 before the deal is set or at least get store credit.

To add that Ruger will rebarrel a #1 for only a little over $100! And the 30/06 barrel I have now has a perfect chamber and it's very accurate. I don't think a custom barrel would be as good a job for any price. This is the chance you take with factory rifles. Rugers barrels have improved a lot in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 04-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 04-19-2002).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a #1 in 218 Bee that is a real tackdriver. The only thing I did was to replace the trigger with a Moyer. Its really too bad that some really nice rifles come from the factory with really bad triggers.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
Craig,
My #1 had one of the worst (if not THE worst) of any rifle I've ever owned. The best news- after a quick one day stop at a local gunsmith and $40.00 later- it now has the best trigger of any rifle I've ever owned. Some minor repairs and adjustments done by the right person and you're in business... 3 lbs and 3 ounces every time.

<eldeguello>
posted
I have heard a lot about inaccurate Ruger No. 1's, but have never seen one myself. I have a 1B 7mm Rem Mag which shoots 1" groups AT 200 YARDS, had a 1V .25/'06 that shot .5" @ 100, a 7X57 that'll do .75", a No. 3 .30/40 that shoots 1", and a .375 H&H that puts five into 1.5" @ 150 yards. Basically, I think Ruger single-shot rifles are, out-of-the-box, as good as any out-of-the-box bolt action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also posted this on the small caliber forum, there is a similar string over there.
I also did the tang modification.

"2002
posted 04-22-2002 20:23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've had my #1B in .25-06 since 1986. The only mods were a trigger job and a small screw on the tang under the barrel pushing up on the bottom of the barrel to stiffen it.
This rifle digests just about any 100 grainer very well, and I've shot 5/8" groups with ballistic tips."

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote