THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Real life noise reduction with a Vais??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real life noise reduction with a Vais??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone in this range of calibers have or use a Vais?? I am inquiring what the real level of noise reduction or rather emission of a rifle with a Vais brake. I have only shot two braked rifles a 300 Ultra from Rifles Inc. at 6 1/2 lbs and a 340 Wby. Recoil was fine, but the guns came back off the bags pretty snappy. Of course I had hearing protection on. What do they sound like without (other than BOOM!). I will never wear ear protection on a hunt. Can it be done??

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Jesse,

If you want to have noise reduction and reduce recoil you can actually do both, but not with a brake.

Send your rifle to any of the very reputable makers of suppressors and have them make one for you rifle. Won't do a bit of good for the sound of the bullet but it will do well for the muzzle blast. Cost you about $400 plus the $200 "special occupational tax" from the JBT's.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Vais brake on my Lazzeroni Hellcat (.375) and Lazzeroni Patriot (.308) and they do a good job with respect to recoil reduction with a resultant increase in noise that is barely noticable. As I've said in other posts I have never had a bad look from anyone at the range and very few have even noticed I was using a brake. The big thing to me, however, is the complete absence of gas blasting back into your face like you get with a typical brake.

I would not shoot any of the Ultra's or big Weatherby's without hearing protection...ever...either with or without a brake. Those puppies are just plain noisy.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote