Find
Notify
Tools

7mm WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted
Does anyone have much experience with the 7 mm Winchester short magnum? It seems to be a pretty high pressure cartridge~60,000 psi and was curious as to problems this might generate along with accuracy of the various guns seen in this caliber.

I have several different 7 mm's, but this has a high RANHO factor (Richard ain't never had one).

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Winchester SS Classic in 7mm WSM a year ago. The stock that comes with them is really no good at all. But the blued Classics have a walnut stock. This rifle is one of the most accurate hunting rifles that I have.

I wanted to try one out as I really don't like belted cartridge cases. The cartridge is a good one but due to it being released late its not as popular as the 270 WSM or 300 WSM.

If your a handloader then shooting it will not cost any more than other cartridges. For the factory load shooter only I would suggest the other two for reasons of availability.

There is a lot of data available at www.shortmags.org

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information and the link. I am not in a handloading mode right now--at least until I get a shop set up and stuff out of storage. For some reason, I have always been partial to 7mm's.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote