Find
Notify
Tools

Light bullets in the .308s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm thinking about buying a .300 WSM, and am wondering if anyone has experience with bullets lighter than 150 grains in this or any of the other .30 calibers for antelope and such at longer ranges. Seems like the Barnes TSX 130-grainer might have a decent BC that would hold up out to 400 yards or so, but I have never fooled with it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16428 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill i have done some fooling with 125-130gr bullets,but didn't have any ttxs.that said they will scream out there we tested to about 600 yds.and they are good and flat.The powder we used was RL-17.I will get in my shop and give you the loads I worked up.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

We've begun to play with the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX's in .308 Win., .30/06 Sprg., 300 Win. Mag. & Yes, Martha; the 300 RUM, too.

Nothing concrete yet but so far they appear as they'll end up with a real niché in our cartridge gallery's.

Our experience has shown that to get enough powder in the cases mentioned above with this bullet you need to step Down (Up?) a notch in the powder selections normally used in these cartridges with this bullet, i.e., if you're using Medium burners in the .308 Win. powders in a quicker range will afford a better density and more velocity.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I have been working w/ some 110grSP and H335, IMR4064 in .308. I have not taken them out yet, but they should be in the 3200fps range. Accuracy is anyones guess at this point. They were on clearence for $9.00 per 100. I could not refuse.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be argumentitive here,
But I never could understand how a lighter bullets helps.
I supose it shoots a we bit flatter, but a good 150 grain bullet like an accubond in a magnum, or balistic tip in a standard cartridge, will kill your buck.
400 yards is a long poke, but I recomend you look at the balistic tables, and see how much difference there is at 400 yards.
I use 165 grain bullets for the most part even in a .308. Zeroed at 200 it drops about 7 inches at 300.
Nothing wrong with shooting a 130 grain TTSX.
But Nothing gained either.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I never could understand how a lighter bullets helps.
Having been interested in the same principle, I played around with JBM balistics calculator and there seems to be a cut-off point where there is no gain from the lighter and faster bullet. It may be a little flatter shooting out to about 200yds or so but loses it's edge down range - depending on the bullet and the attainable velocity. It seems that the 30 cal 165gr BTS is near the optimum for range and trajectory.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give the 125 gr Ballistic Tip a try. I've got a couple of friends that set barrels up 1:14 to push these out of .300 Winchester Magnums and they have had excellent results on longer shots. Don't remember the velocity but IIRC, 3800 fps plus.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lighter copper bullets typically give less recoil (im all for that)..and performance no less than heavier premium cupcores.

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/galrynokruger.html

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/bgeer.html

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well i found it.for the 125-130 gr.bullets I used 69.0grs of RL-17 and 150 gr bullets 69.3 of RL-17.Just for laughs I loaded some 90 gr.XTP bullets with 70.0 grs. of RL-15 and they grouped real tight.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I am playing w/ 110gr for Vermin, not game. I use 150, 165, or 168gr for vittles. I figured a 110gr sp would be fun on Coyotes and woodchucks. BTW, I Never use ballistic tips on medium sized game. They are not worth the gamble of hitting a rib. My only runner was hit w/ a 140gr BT out of a 7mm Rem Mag. Blew up on the surface and left a nasty wound. I use 140gr Ballistic tips for vermin in that caliber now.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
30/06 - Speer 130 hp to blow up woodchucks, out of an 18" M670 Win.

50gr H-380 -
42gr 3031 -

Posts: 6405 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been doing some experimentation with lathe turned lightweight copper bullets lately.
The idea is to develop 130gr .308 bullets with BCs similar to 150gr lead core bullets. The added velocity combined with high BC should prove very effective.

Test media: Water (in 2.5, and 1 gal jugs)
Test firearm: Savage 10 .308 Win.

Unfired, 2945 fps, 2190 fps
Predicted BC is .405

Bullet was sprayed with HBN (Hexaxonal Boron Nitride in order to reduce pressure, and reduce copper fouling. Fouling appeared to be minimal.

I also tested the older hollowpoint design as well. 137gr HP. Predicted BC is .314.

MV 2832 fps

Overall I would say it went well. I had some accuracy issues, but I may have some damage on the crown of the gun, and I still need to do a bit of dialing in as far as the bullet jump goes (right now it is too much). Another theory is that these bullets need to be driven at maximum pressure to ensure they properly obturate to the bore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For deer/antelope sized game I have used mostly 165gr bullets.

150 and 180gr have worked great as well.

I just do not see where a lighter bullet would be better.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Predicted BC is .405

I like that idea. I thought about it many years ago (the standard lightweights were simply too short to work in my rifle).

May I ask how the predicted BC is arrived at?

Great picture of the lions, Trax!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a combination of CAD to arive at the final weight, and shape. Then plugged in the dimensions into a bullet design code that I found on the Lilja barrel website.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/ar...cs/bullet_design.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler 125 grain BT shoots very accurately in my 300 Savage.
I just gotta think it would also shoot in a 308.
Years ago I did a lot of experimenting with 110 grain 30 caliber bullets, and could never get any kind of decent accuracy from them.
FWIW

Don

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
For deer/antelope sized game I have used mostly 165gr bullets.

150 and 180gr have worked great as well.

I just do not see where a lighter bullet would be better.

There's no way it can be called better but it can be a different experience. I have a 6 lb 300 Win Mag (scoped and loaded). I can shoot 150 and 180 grain bullets OK (I have a 550 Magnum, 450 ackley, 505 Gibbs, 458 AccRel, 375 H&H, 376 Steyr, 300 Wby, and so on. Recoil isn't an issue with me). But the 130 grain monometal bullets in that light rifle are easier to shoot well, kill like lightning bolts, and inside 400 yds give up nothing to the 150s. I wouldn't put them up against 200 gr 30 cals but I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a 600 lb criter with them, either. In fact they've been there, done that.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys, I agree that at some point, trading BC and SD for light bullet speed in a given caliber becomes a fool's errand, as the bullet sheds that speed more quickly at distance. Still, a 130 TSX out of a 300 WSM ought to be worth considering for an antelope load.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16428 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly worth considering.
I supose when it right down to it for an antilope, and other shooting witch is done at long range, the best bullet is the one that is most accurate in a givin rifle.
As to recoil.
I seldom consider it. If I had a rifle that kicked to hard, i would sell or rebarrel it.
I 6lb 300 win would be a good candidate for a .264 win or .257 ,270 weatherby...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
By the way, I bought the Vanguard in .300 WSM, as it was on sale at SW for $349. So I guess I will have a chance to look for a bullet in the 150-grain and under class that shows stellar accuracy. If I can't find one, a well-built 165 at 3100 ought to do the trick on nearly anything.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I 6lb 300 win would be a good candidate for a .264 win or .257 ,270 weatherby...tj3006

I've been tempted many times just because a 264 or 257 seems a better philosophical match. But it shoots so well as-is, and is so effective on the game I hunt, I can't bring myself to risk it. "If it ain't broke...don't fix it".

Congratulations, Bill. I'm beginning to like the GS Custom 130 gr a lot but the logisitcs of buying them is not as convenient as the Barnes 130 TSX. Also, no load data for GSC and the WSM, although they would provide some via email.

The two brands have very different load work-up techniques. Like a real man, I didn't read the GS Custom directions at first. Wasted a lot of time and bullets that way. If you do it their way, it is pretty fast and easy to find the sweet spot.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote