THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Felt recoil of .338 WM vs. 338-06

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Felt recoil of .338 WM vs. 338-06
 Login/Join

<ringneck>
posted
I have a 338-06 and the recoil doesn't seem to bother me and I can get good groups from the bench. I have a magnum action laying around that I am thinking about turning into a .338 Win Mag. Never having fired one, and not knowing anyone who has one, can you give me an idea of the recoil? I plan on using 225 grain bullets and lighter. Would I be better off chambering for the .300 Win Mag? The rifle would be used for Elk and Deer.

Thanks,
Shawn

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a 338-280IMP and a 338 wmag both in light weight 7.5# rifles. The stocks are the same design. The 338-280 has a 24" and the 338mag a 22" Velocities are the same. But, you definitly know when that extra 10+ grns of powder burns. However I don't feel the 338 mag is as sharpe a recoil as my 300wmag.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 338 WM Ruger M77 and I handload 210 NP and 180 gr NBT. Usually I shoot a 270 prior to shooting the 338. There is more recoil but not as bad as you might think. The Leupold 3X9 I put on it has gobs of eye relief and to me that is the biggest fear - eating the scope. Since I creep a stock I also replaced the stubby stock recoil pad with a 1" Accellerator and 1/4" spacer I have to lenghten the pull on all my rifles. I enjoy shooting this rifle - it is unbelieveably accurate - but 338's have that reputation. I have also shot 225 gr Hornady's - I couldn't tell any difference in recoil. I had a 338 up until somebody stole it 13 years ago. I just now replaced it and life is almost as it should be - I killed 4 elk - including my first with that 338 all with 210 NP from 40 yds to 400 - I shot a few mule deer with it using the 225's. It will always be my fovorite round. Have fun

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Guy>
posted
Shawn - I have many friends and family that shoot the 338-06 and/or the 338 Win. My experience has been that the rifle has more to do with perceived felt recoil than either one of those catridges with the same weight bullets. Everyone also shoots only the 210 Partition for all game in both calibers with velocities running from 2700-2900 fps. I don't think you could tell much difference if the rifles are the same. If you step up to the 340 Wby or the 338 RUM then you will notice more recoil.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 8 1/4# .338-06 & find the recoil about like an 8# 06. I have shot sim. weight rifles in .338wm & think there is an increase in recoil. For shooting in the field though, I don't think it really matters much. For me the only real advantage to going to a magnum in most calibers is to throw heavier bullets @ greater speed than a "standard" chambering.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
When I bought my 338 WM I was worried that the recoil would hurt so I held on for dear life and shot offhand. Supprise, that never hurt a bit, and I rattled off the remainder of my rounds as quickly as that. Since then I can't tell myself that it will hurt because I shoot it sitting and ofhand so I don't feel the real heft of it. Even off the bench I can go through 20 rounds of 225-250gr before I worry about a flinch. If you tell yourself it doesn't hurt, sometimes you'll believe it!

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<ringneck>
posted
Thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting into something I would regret. Sounds like it's not so bad after all.

Shawn