Find
Notify
Tools

.300 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Fixing to embark on working up a load for a Pre-war M-70 .300 H&H shooting 200 gr. Nosler Partition bullets.

Anybody got a favorite powder/load?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36624 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
67 grains IMR 7828 or 65 grains IMR 4831 or 68 grains H4831SC / Fed 215 or CCI 250/ 220 grain NP or Hornadys / 2700 fps / OAL 3.600" [Rem 721].

Otherwise, work up to 70 grains H4831 [max] with 200-grain bullets. Too hot for SPEER (cheapies) and just right for 180-grain TSX / Woodleigh PRP's.

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here is what my Winchester pre64 M-70 Supergrade 26"bbl likes

Nosler 200gr Partition
RL-22
69.0grs = 2821fps (very accurate - one ragged hole at 100 yards)
68.5grs = 2805fps
68.0grs = 2800fps
67.5grs = 2745fps
67.0grs = 2701fps
Note: the Nosler Book lists 67.0grs as MAX for a velocity of 2827fps....YOU NEED TO WORK UP A LOAD FOR YOUR RIFLE

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
R-22 was what I was gonna reach for. The Nosler website however lists R-19 as a go to powder.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36624 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried 200s in my sons M70 300H&H yet. We tried H4831SC and RL-22 with several 180s and couldn't get much below 1.25" groups. Finally tried H4350 and got sub 1" groups. I sure had it in my head that the slower powders would be better , but the rifle disagreed!

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
R-22 was what I was gonna reach for. The Nosler website however lists R-19 as a go to powder.

I have used RL-19 for 180 grain bullet loads, but not 200 grain bullets

I have three 300H&H rifles and they all like a different powder. You might also try the IMR-4350 and H-4831sc for 200gr bullets.

The funny thing is my pre64 M-70 is spooky accurate with 200gr Nosler Partitions and RL-22. It will put 5 shots into one ragged hole (a very small hole at that) at 100yds.......it thinks it is a varmit rifle.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Okie Dokie...am gonna try R-22 first, then R-19 2nd, And IMR 4350 3rd as I have all of those on hand.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree -- go with what you've got first. I'll bet on the RL-22 as being the most satisfactory, but that's largely because I like my powders slower rather than faster in order to fill more of the case.

I know that tried a few rounds in my Sako .300 H&H with the 200 grain Nosler Accubond, but can't recall the load I used, except that it was with IMR-7828 SSC. However, I normally shoot exclusively 180 grain Accubonds using IMR 7828 SSC. Every 180 grain bullet I've tried with IMR-7828 SSC has given me 3/4" accuracy. Of course, since IMR 7828 was the first, and by virtue of its outstanding performance, the only powder I've ever tried in my .300 H&H, I can't say that Red Dot might not do as well Big Grin.

Let us know how you come out. And by the way, what sort of critter are you stoking the old smokepole for with these 200 grain Partitions?

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
And by the way, what sort of critter are you stoking the old smokepole for with these 200 grain Partitions?

This is an old pre-war M70 I traded for and cleaned up. Have never shot it much at all...5 rounds I think to make sure it went bang and to be sure it had some accuracy before spending time on it.

I put a Trijicon 3 X 9 lighted reticle scope on it and am getting it ready for use on leopard and PG on my next trip...which I have not formally arranged yet.

200's as the H&H seems to excel with them and Partitions cause I think they are good cat bullets.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the front half of that 200 grain Partition can be expected to upset a leopard's apple cart. The back half is pretty much superfluous, but so what?

I couldn't find my data for a 200 grain bullet, but in my Sako (24.4" barrel) 73.5 grains of IMR 7828 SSC gives every 180 grain bullet I've tried about 2960 fps. This is a reasonably mild load in my gun. As a matter of fact, when I was working up to it and was at 71.5, I intended to add a half grain, and (due to old age or other stupefication factors) added 5 grains, making the load 77 grains. Well, I chronographed and simultaneously shot a three shot group with these overloads, and didn't really notice much awry other than the velocity, which averaged 3077 FPS according to my notes. The group was the same 3/4" that every other load through this gun had given me, and bolt lift might have been a tad sticky, but not enough to cause immediate concern. It was only upon returning to the house and checking my scale that I discovered why all the extra velocity. Although this experience would indicate that the gun would safely do in excess of 3000 fps, all I really wanted was something that about duplicated the load which made the H&H famous, something a little better than 2900 fps with the 180.

If your rifle behaves anything like mine, then you can probably coax 2800 fps or so out of those big Partitions. They'll also be good for the larger varieties of plains game if that's on the menu during your cat hunt.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife took a leopard with a 200gr Nosler Partition/300Mag....it was dead when it hit the ground....never moved.

A 200 grain Nosler Partition will take "most" thin skinned animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mid 50's M70 with a 24.5 lilja likes 71 grains of of Rl22 and 180 TTSx's...I think it last chrony'd @ 3019 FPS. shot some 3/4" groups.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:

A 200 grain Nosler Partition will take "most" thin skinned animals.

I would think this would be good lion load as well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
ledvm,

I have shot two lions - took both with a 416 Rigby and they were both one shot kills (died where they stood) and both were taken at less than 30 yards. I would use a 30cal on lion if it was my only option......however, I will stick with the 416 if I get to pick the caliber. My limited experience "is" a lion isn't that hard to kill if you do it right with the 1st shot. But wounded lions in the bush scare me.....they are extremely fast.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I would think this would be good lion load as well.
Probably about as many lions have been killed with a .303 British as with any other cartridge. I'd much rather shoot one in the "right" place with a .300 H&H than in the "wrong" place with something much larger.

I've never hunted lions (and probably never will since there are other things higher on my wish list), but my guide in Africa (on my thus-far only trip) commented that lions are fairly "soft" targets that don't seem to be any tougher than any other animal in the 400-lb range. But I'm sure that shooting one "around the edges" prompts a somewhat more sphincter-constricting aftermath than say, shooting a blue gnu "around the edges".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
handwerk,

you and gssp have spoiled me on the m70 with an echols legend stock. using both of you as a muse I am building a 375. i hope to build a second next year in a .308 of some flavor.

I can tell you a 300 H&H would be an awfully nice compliment to the 375. details in the big bore forum over on 24hr under putting a 375 together.

jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I peeked at your project details on 24 hr, sounds about perfect to me.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
ledvm,

I have shot two lions - took both with a 416 Rigby and they were both one shot kills (died where they stood) and both were taken at less than 30 yards. I would use a 30cal on lion if it was my only option......however, I will stick with the 416 if I get to pick the caliber. My limited experience "is" a lion isn't that hard to kill if you do it right with the 1st shot. But wounded lions in the bush scare me.....they are extremely fast.

Agreed!

In full daylight...I would prabably opt for my trusty old .375 but since I am rigging the .300 for low-light...if my lion was visiting near dusk...I would opt for it and would have confidence in a 200 gr. NP going ~2800. I would probably have my .500 double in the Cruizer for the outside chance I had to do a follow-up on a fairly healthy cat.

J. Lane Easter, DVM