Login/Join

one of us
posted
Check out this guys Hog Spear "hunt"... rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
There is either something wrong with the host or he is one of the goofiest f***s I’ve seen…

Sorry I’m not usually venomous on internet forums but that guy struck me… reminds me of Kenneth on 30Rock...

Probably would have been an easier kill if they didn’t use the dogs…most barnyard pigs are pretty easy to walk up to…

I wonder if the tag in its ear was a price tag???

I’m actually interested in killing a hog with a spear but are all the hunts so blatantly put and take???

I’ve spoken with a few people and they said one of the things to do is only use bay dogs and not catch dogs to make it more of a challenge…

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I didn't watch all of the video. This is stabbing an animal for entertainment. There isn't any hunting involved.

Back in the day, the pig collectors would tie the pigs up while the dogs held them in place. Take them home and put them in a pen for a few weeks before butchering them.
Now a guy walks up with a knife or gun and calls it hunting.
And apparently some of the pigs have tags in their ears.
Kind of sickening.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I'm interested in hunting with a spear I was cheering for the pig on this one. Not hunting in my opinion.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Having raised a lot of meat hogs, it was painfully obvious that this one had no fear of humans and was only half heartedly trying to keep the dogs away. That tells me he ate a lot of meals out of a bucket before someone turned him out for this "hunt".

True feral hogs do not stand around like that.

Sad, very sad!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JCS...

I'm looking to hunt hogs with a spear...

Wanting to avoid operations like this...

At what point is a hog considerd feral???

Sure circumstances differ depending on animals environment etc... but as someone who raises hogs how long would it take till the average hog becomes feral???

Thanks

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this doesnt sound very sporting but it can be exciting. I set a lot of snares for feral hog control and in some places you can't use firearms to kill them. We have two weapons, a pinning tool which is like a spear but has a big V shape made out of some tough 1/2 inch round steel welded to a sleeve that fits on a heavy duty Hoe handle. The other is a spear made also from a hoe handle but tipped with one of the ten dollar Harbor Freight "Rambo" knives and the serrations ground off into a sharp edge. There are times whan doing this is a bit too exciting as we only kill the bigger hogs this way because tying them can be too dicey for two guys sometimes. The smaller hogs we always tie up and remove. I have yet to find a dead hog in a snare.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken Reed is an idiot if he thinks that video is hunting. I'll bet the pig had a name.....

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trophyhunter5000:
JCS...
At what point is a hog considerd feral???

???

Thanks

When the minute it sees you, it wants to tusk your eyes out and drink your blood!

Takes one generation born in the wild.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When the minute it sees you, it wants to tusk your eyes out and drink your blood!

Takes one generation born in the wild.

rotflmo

Thanks...

one of us
posted Hide Post
A tame hog see the ear tag.

What I find interisting is how long he hog stayed up right after taking a cold steel boar spear through the lungs and heart right around 15 secs.

Dead on its feet pumping blood out like crazy.

Comfirms my thoughts on shooting until they stop moving. Ammo is cheap a critter can go a long ways/ do a lot of damage or get into some place where getting them out is very hard.

Posts: 19371 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
WE HUNT HERE REGULARLY WITH KNIVES I HAVE A COLD STEEL SPEAR BUT ITS IMPRACTICAL TO CARRY ,AND DANGEROUS TO THE DOGS .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan,

I looked at knife hunts but most of what I've seen is the animal being restrained by "catch" dogs or other hunters before the blade is thrust in...

Is this always the case???

I've seen some videos where only "bay" dogs are used and the hog is unrestrained and able to fight back...The hogs in the vids I've seen appear to be feral and actually charged the hunter in one case... I'm more interested in something like this...Not sure if it could be done with a Knife???

Spear only Option in this case??

How about short spear???

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes 99 percent of knife hunts are done with cacht dogs ,sometimes you have to run a lot in heavy bush because you need to protect the dogs ,the boar will try cut you but the real danger is for the dogs ,of course you need an excellent physicall condition and have many dangers running most of the times at nigth in unknown terrain.
The problem with baying dogs and knife ,its that the hog most of the times run away so its difficult.
I killed some using my labs and a wakisashi or a tanto or any of the long daggers i have ,but i failed many more .YES THE SPEAR IS FOR BAYING DOGS ,BUT YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFULL WITH IT.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes 99 percent of knife hunts are done with cacht dogs ,sometimes you have to run a lot in heavy bush because you need to protect the dogs ,the boar will try cut you but the real danger is for the dogs ,of course you need an excellent physicall condition and have many dangers running most of the times at nigth in unknown terrain.
The problem with baying dogs and knife ,its that the hog most of the times run away so its difficult.
I killed some using my labs and a wakisashi or a tanto or any of the long daggers i have ,but i failed many more .YES THE SPEAR IS FOR BAYING DOGS ,BUT YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFULL WITH IT.

Thanks for the advice...
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure a pen raised hog, maybe his next video will be shooting herefords in the pasture.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trophyhunter5000:
There is either something wrong with the host or he is one of the goofiest f***s I’ve seen…

Sorry I’m not usually venomous on internet forums but that guy struck me… reminds me of Kenneth on 30Rock...

i wonder if he was actually trying to act like Howdy Doody?

Posts: 229 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 09 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn that was poorly done, don't believe the dogs are real "pig" dogs , or the owner just doesn't give a crap about his dogs no protection at all.

Spear work was just flat sloopy, he should hae hit him/her hard and drive it deep and in.

The ones wwe have taken with knife and spears have all ways been caught with the "catch" dogs then we steped in, for the knife its flipping them over and stabbing, the spear was all ways drove into like trying to punch out the other side. Wish I still had access to the area we did it in, them ole boys had some truly nasty hogs

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the guy using the spear has to man the fuck up and stab that bitch and make it his .........he stabed it the staered backing away...?wtf when i stab with a spear i throw my weight into it knock the fucker off its feet and pin the bitch to thr ground ahh well if the guys really that scared of a tame pig then lol good thing he dosnt go real spear hunting with out dogs

dogs im my opion are fun and ok where legal but i prefer to hunt alone no dogs and no other people when using a spear. if the other person fuckes up my games gets spooked and its game over and i have to start a 2+ hr stalk all over again.

for example i would of stabed cloe in tight to the shoulder"making shure that the blade of my spear is horizontal then after i spear in tight to the shoulder and a touch under the spine i lift up and rock the pig onto its side i step on the pigs face to stop it from biting or moving this same thing can be done on deer ect but if hunting deer with a spear i highly recomend a tree stand no more than 9 feet of the ground do not go to much higher as the angle of entry will not be good and the likly hood of cliping only 1 lung becomes higher.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
What a circus, the only remarkable 'hunter'in this clip are the dogs.

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 134 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
You can really appreciate why stuff like this gives hunters a bad name. Disgusting.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We hunt mostly with cacht dogs specially DOGOS ARGETINOS but sometimes we use my labs and the only bay them ,i always prefer to run and stab with knives .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy stickin' the farm-raised hog had all the testicles of a gerbil. The camera duck had more teeth than a cheap dentist office.

Tell me this wasn't Saturday Night Live!

Posts: 383 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote