New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gaff Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm saddened that nobody has respond to the clarion call, the challenge of Gaffing. Can't be any more dangerous than a psychotic redhead and a hungry attorney, and I survived that too! Look, a gaff is little more than a curved spear, come on fellas talk it up!

Happy 4th!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I answered in the "Spear Deer" thread! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BAH!!! 3 days have passed yet ye cower in the bleachers!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Dan, the spear people seem to be somewhat more conservative than the small games people. You may have "big mortied" them with a blinding flash of technology.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought as much Ned. Therein lies the problem that pioneers so often face. You go to someplace where no man has been before, you do stupendous things, and there are no witnesses. I wonder how long it will take to catch on?

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Dan, I think I understand the reluctance. I have a mind's eye image of a jaw gaffed 470 pound piney woods rooter dragging you through the pamlettos at about 35 mph. That would be worse than him biting you 2 or 3 times in a row. One holds on to a gaff, right? Stab with the spear and let go? Where are all the antipodal experts really into pig proddin'? when you need them. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may be on to something Ned, as always however, technique and knowledge are King. If you can put a pig on their side it is relatively easy to keep them there without risking body parts.

In gross oversimplfication there are two types of gaffs: One has a fixed hook and perhaps a wrist loop, the other style being a flying gaff, or one where the hook detaches after the strike and is retained by a length of nylon or dacron rope. Either may or may not have a barb, but those that do are often referred to as Kill Gaffs. Point I'd make about all this is that the flying killer may not be the best choice. As you noted, skipping through the woods at 35 mph may not be the best solution. While the marlin hunters use these with great effectiveness it is in a different scenario and the gaff and wire men are not generally at risk from a charge.

My vote would be for a 7' kill gaff with a 3/4" shank, 12" bite, folding barb, and no wrist loop. No detachable hook and a stout handle as well. My approach would be to try to strike from under the chest then roll them onto their side. After that you own em'!

Perhaps this will work better than juggling cats and chainsaws.