New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manners and such...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had a thought while on the prowl in a different forum and need some feedback. Is it unsportsmanlike to use a pole spear on Hogs or Bear? Not with powerhead as that is illegal I'm sure in most locales. Just your average run of the mill pole spear with the surgical tubing and a detachable head. Would you hang onto the spear after driving home the steel?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Dan,
I think that even a pole spear would be illegal most places. The best you could come up with is an atlatl and dart. In some states (not here! ) that is a legal way of taking hog. And hard as the damned thing is to use, it's really sporting!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking a pop off lanyard tip would be your best bet as to not break the pole tip. Not sure on the legality

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remeber that the mail failing point with pole spears (besides the limited range) is the ability of your brey to have a large object to twist against and use leverage of it's body and the twisting motion to tear itself free. When I take large fish with my pole spears I pin them to the ground ASAP and use an ice pick to dispatch them quickly. give them a second and one good twist ane they're gone. a slip tip found on blue waterguns eliminates the twist off potential bu repacling rigid shafts with flexable cable. maybe a better option.

I have often thought about seeing if one of my bluewater guns would classify as a bow under our hunting regs. might be interesting to try and stalk a deer with a 5.5ft bluewater speargun. would drop the deer easy with a good hit ;-)

Posts: 59 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted, you and Amphibious both make good 'points', only a little pun intended. Purrhaps a slip tip, a heavy stainless pole they couldn't bend and enough rubber so's I could get up a tree and still hang on? Of course I've seen some pretty heavy stainless spears turned into pretzels by smallish fish, especially sharks.

No offense intended as I'm sure the atlatl IS sporting, but somehow I think a boar of about 300# on a pole spear would be a fun filled afternoon!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a good thing for the point to stay with the shaft. And for it to have a cross-bar.

With a detachable point it could get messy if it turns on you.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote