New
Find
Notify
Tools

black bear with a spear??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It seems that spear hunting isn't prohibited in Alberta!

Ok suppose someone was contemplating taking a bear with a spear and that person was going to do it out of a short tree stand. Where exactly would be the best "shot placement."

At first I was thinking between the shoulder blades but I'm wondering how much possibility there is of just glancing off the shoulder blade? Is ther much room betweenthe shoulderblades of a standing bear?

The only video I've seen was a guy in a treestand using a long spear and thrusting it rather than throwing it. If "a fellow" was using a cold steel spear attached to a heavy spruce pole and just dropped the spear it might be more accurate than throwing-any opinions on that?

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would definitely look at the long thrusting spear. You will have lots of weight on your side. And you will have a lot better control of shot placement.
I can't help you with where to aim though.

quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
It seems that spear hunting isn't prohibited in Alberta!

Ok suppose someone was contemplating taking a bear with a spear and that person was going to do it out of a short tree stand. Where exactly would be the best "shot placement."

At first I was thinking between the shoulder blades but I'm wondering how much possibility there is of just glancing off the shoulder blade? Is ther much room betweenthe shoulderblades of a standing bear?

The only video I've seen was a guy in a treestand using a long spear and thrusting it rather than throwing it. If "a fellow" was using a cold steel spear attached to a heavy spruce pole and just dropped the spear it might be more accurate than throwing-any opinions on that?

the chef

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I just got back from a hunt and was all prepared to use the cold steel spear I bought. Unfortunately the bears didn't want anything to do with my bait and it went "untasted" for 7 days. I really really wish I had something to report, I was so pumped to try hunting this way.

The only thing I can report is a cold steel spear on a 6 foot black spruce sapling as a shaft has great penetration on five gallon pails.

Maybe I'll get a chance in the future.

the chef