New
Find
Notify
Tools

River Monsters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Nothing much to hunt now so we went fishing for the wild and elusive River Monster. Caught one 48 lbs and just under 5 ft long. Caught on whole dead mullet and released alive. Great day drinking beer and chasing river monsters.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great catch !!! You must not drink to many beers as you can still stand !!!

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking fish, is that an alligator gar?

Posts: 26 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
MONSTER!!! tu2

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in texas I saw aligator gar so big it was almost beyond belief. Sometimes when I was surfing in the brackish bay waters they would be in the waves like giant shadows as the wave built up.
There was a really deep abandoned rock quarry where we would fish sometimes. I saw gar try to grab seagulls out of the air. Somebody left a trot line on the bank once with a mainline made of a heavy twisted steel cable, and drop lines made of solid steel wires. Some of the drop lines were seriously twisted up.
Congrats on your fish. Ever try eating them?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fantastic catch!

I'm happy ya'll released it to grow up. Much as I love the prehistoric fish and catching them on rod&reel I like to see them allowed to live 50-60yrs. This is a fish that is not nearly as aggressive as most seem to think. They are actually quite shy. I would rather swim with 'gator Gar than Bull sharks.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were pre fishing for a tournament this coming August. Just drinking beer and looking for a place with a lot of large Alligator Gar.

We saw some bigger fish but none that would win much money. We are looking for fish in the 100 pound and up range.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote