Find
Notify
Tools

Kuiu- size,
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whats up with their sizing?

I am 176 cm and 75kg(about 150pounds) pretty normal build, and their yukon trouser size M is a bit too large for me, to wide around The thighs. And thats The smallest model.

When IT comes to jakets i need The super down in size xl to be big enough, just dont make any sense,

Pretty irritating when shopping across The ocean.

Any others noticed The same thing?

Posts: 93 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about every client I’ve had in kuiu gear has said the same thing. Sizing is bad. And inconsistent. Plus paying to return gear all the time gets old.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Yukon rain jacket will not hold up to heavy rain. Mine turned into a sponge and soaked all my clothes under the jacket. It took 2 days before the jacket dried out.

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yep sizing is a crap shoot with Kuiu

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phuu.. nothing wrong with me then!

Thanks for the replys!

Posts: 93 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I wear XL or XXL size for most clothing, typically XL. For Kuiu I have to order XXL.

I think the biggest issue is that the arms are TIGHT. And my arms are not fat and I'm not a steroid daddy. In fact, my arms have less muscle than years ago, so heaven help me if I was younger or worked out.

Kuiu - more arm room!!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vaquero:
The Yukon rain jacket will not hold up to heavy rain. Mine turned into a sponge and soaked all my clothes under the jacket. It took 2 days before the jacket dried out.

I have Yukon pants, they are not Helly Hanson rainwear. They work fine in the Northern Rockies, but I'd prefer real rain gear hunting SE-AK/Kodiak/Aleutians.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
While the world has embraced plus sized models, Kuiu hasn't figured out there are also "plus sized" men.

I also have heard that their rain gear is truly designed for mountain hunting and really water resistant, not water proof. (Which makes sense as it "breathes." Regardless, you're going to remain in your tent rather than hop, skip and jumpin around a mountain in the rain.)

Yeah, in Alaska, Impertech, no gortex, no cotton and no Kuiu for my fat ass. Sitka makes good gear and with a full range of (accurate) sizes for all.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHO:
Whats up with their sizing?

I am 176 cm and 75kg(about 150pounds) pretty normal build, and their yukon trouser size M is a bit too large for me, to wide around The thighs. And thats The smallest model.

When IT comes to jakets i need The super down in size xl to be big enough, just dont make any sense,

Pretty irritating when shopping across The ocean.

Any others noticed The same thing?

When they came thru OKC last year, I bought a bunch of stuff after trying on at the show. When the stuff arrived, the sizing was all over the place. I sent every item back. Gear looks good but does not have consistent sizing. Back to Sitka Gear from Barney's in Anchorage.

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought some Kuiu rain gear a few years ago and it is great, but definitely weird sizing. It fits, but barely. I still use it, but have standardized on Sitka for all my other gear due to the sizing issues with Kuiu.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I am a medium to large and have to buy large. I second that they generally run small, with skinny arms. I think their "model" must be 6'0" and 150 lbs., sorta more Olive Oil than Popeye.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have a Kenai hooded jacket, a ultra NX rain jacket, Yukon rain pants, and a Teton jacket.

They all fit, and now that I lost weight they fit a lot better.

They are tight fitting in the arms and torso, but most importantly they are tight fitting in the waist area (so the wind doesn't tickle your bum as much).

I wasn't much of a fan, of their rain gear, but it works for western hunting in not wet areas.

I'll order more, as it is much cheaper than Gore-Tex made stuff by Sitka.

I have pro-deals with Firstlite and Browning. So it just depends on price on what I will order.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote