THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    How much for a DIY back country elk hunt?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much for a DIY back country elk hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am starting to plan a backcountry trip into the mountains in Colorado for fall 2010 to hunt elk, and would like to get an idea of what these trips typically end up costing.

We will probably be hiring horses but I doubt we will take a full heavy camp, more like each man having his own set up. At least I think I will go with a bivvy rather than a tent, also because I have to watch the weight of my gear since I will be flying in from Italy.
Once I’m in Colorado I think the main expenses will be the horses, some extra camp equipment, food for us and the horses and maybe tags?

Can anyone who does this kind of trip give me an idea of the expenses encountered?

Thanks.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Express, what you're referring to is a "drop camp" type hunt.

Start checking with Colorado guides right now.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non-resident tag prices for 2010 are now posted on the CO DOW website - I think $546 Bull and $251 Cow if I remember correctly. Horse prices vary greatly in my experience but I only rent them to pack animals out.

Drop Camp prices differ in cost and what they include -tent, food, firewood, Horses for use during hunt etc. so previous post is right on calling for specifics. We looked casually and they seem to start about $1,500 but I'm not current or expert by any means. I am however positive that there is a huge difference in both cost and value for that type of hunt - low frills in tons of elk is a much better value than a great campsite with no animals around.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Ex,

Specneeds hit the bullseye. Colorado is a big place. There is a LOT of differences in quality areas. Which season you pick can make a huge difference as well.

Some areas are loaded with elk the first Rifle season, but empty quick the last 2 seasons. Muzzle loader or archery seasons are in September, during the rut. Those seasons can produce some outstanding hunts, usually high country which can be pretty, and rugged.

You are coming a long way to hunt, so please do your homework. All areas are not created equal. PM me if you need any more info,

Good hunting!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
"hiring horses" is not trivial. Your best bet is a drop camp which runs $1500-2500/person.start looking now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a drop camp. Bring a Tent it could rain or snow!!! We did a DIY Hunt in Montatna this year. We hunted a Migration route. The Main Ridge in the area we chose to Hunt was 8200ft. Their was no weather and the Bulls were still at 9000-10000 ft.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to get topographic maps of any area you plan to hunt. 7-1/2 minute are best.
Be aware that meals require a fair amount of time. Allocate time to allow for someone to do cooking. Camp stoves along with all the pots and pans and untisils are heavy. An open fire takes an hour before it is rady to use for cooking and you will need a metal grate something to place items on.
I found that freeze dried foods in packages are very tasty and light weight, but need water. Meat and canned goods are another heavy group of items that must be considered.
Also, you will need plenty of water. You may be able to carry some with you, but are likely to need to get some from a stream, lake or river, and that means boiling it before drinking and an additional caution to add an iodine tablet to the container you store it in.
Also, try to arrange for a motel or equivalent to use when you finish the hunt. Many Colorado places will rent a room for shower/clean-up purposes and charge very little for that.
there's lots more to consider.
Do plenty of advance planning.
Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not Colorado but I went on drop hunt for elk in Idaho and it cost aprox 2 grad including tags
its a good idea if you like hunting separate from a guide

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote