Notify
Tools

BWCA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted
Hello,

I am going to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area for a week (5 to 7 days). I am trying to pack as light as possible. I was wondering if anyone has a food list from previous adventures that I could take a look at. I have found a lot of info on freeze drying food and some ideas for meals, but I have not found a list of meals for several days.

Right now, I have MRE's that I bought for $5 apiece. I opened the packages and seperated the items and got rid of the packaging and stuff that I did'nt like or need. I plan to eat one MRE a day and then live on dried food and fresh fish the rest of the time. The food still weighs a lot.

I have never lived out of a pack for a week, so any advice is appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
2 words, MOUNTAIN HOUSE. ditch the MRE's they weigh way too much ( how heavy is each meal now that you separated the mre?). The only key to the M.H. is that you need water obviously!

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canoeing or back packing where are you going in at. I take instant oak meal for breakfast some jery and dried fruit for lunch and rice/noodles and Mt house for dinner along with some tang for drinking. I like to throw in some candy for shacking on.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
I second the instant oatmeal for breakfast. The individual coffee bag singles are nice too. I spent 5 days in the BWCA last month. We packed pretty light but our main meals where Ramen noodles (reminds me of the good ole days in college). We then added chicken or tuna that comes in the pouches. Also took jerky and cliff bars.

I don't think weight is as critical up there as it is with a regular backpacking trip. However, I do think you should pack light enough to single portage everything. Not sure what route you are taking but the longest portage we did was only 1.5 miles.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
We're putting in on Moose Lake (EP25) and traveling to Knife or Kekekabic lake. There are about 10 portages, the longest being 180r.

I think I will get some Mountain House meals, instant oatmeal and hopefully fresh walleye every night.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As you are canoeing it you don't have to pack as light as a true every step you take back packing trip. Even thinking about taking some real food eggs,bacon, steak, patatoes ect at least for the first few days. Don't over do it be sensable and you well enjoy yourself a lot. Hopefully have some fresh walleye also.

Steak and walleye fillets over a good hot bed of coals makes me hungry just thinking about it. Very good.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
I agree with "p dog shooter" about bringing some real food since your longest portage is only a half mile. We packed light because we did about a 45 mile loop with over 10 portages a day.

Even if you're a good fisherman I wouldn't count on fresh fish every night. Instead of a heavy skillet and oil I prefer to bring aluminum foil (tear large sheets off and fold them up) and some McCormick fish seasoning. The water is so clean up there no need for heavy flavoring, IMO.

Good Luck

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote