New
Find
Notify
Tools

Survival Food ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was thinking the other day,if you were hunting/backpacking/Disasters like hurricanes? and lost,hurt,couldnt get help for a while,etc. What are some foods you could eat for survival in the winter?I talked with a old timer hunter/hiker/otherday ..that told me Beaver was great if you havent eaten anything in a week!Got me to thinking...What wild non-game birds are ediable?or which ones would you try first?
Dove would be the most common in my area but i was thinking about the other non-game birds...Can Crow be used or any common songbirds?I have never really given it much thought before....but did read one time where a survivalist ate a skunk....thats hungry! popcorn hilbily
My first thought... if theres water around ,,would be to try and find crawfish or fish...but never thought about non-game birds as food...

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any mammal or bird is edible if you are hungry enough. Heck, there are stories of Inuit surviving on rabbit droppings for months when nothing else was available.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. Peanut butter ; Just have lots of peanut butter along .And Water

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just about all birds taste like chicken hilbily

I have eaten a lot of grouse while camping/hunting---pine grouse is a hell of lot better than sage grouse!

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,I read in a older"1962" outdoorlife book the other day where the auther said the porcupine should be protected... so a outdoorsman lost in winter...can easily overtake one for food emergancys in the Northern woods...
I though that was pretty good advice!
I hope none of us are ever in a bad way like that...But i do like to be semi-prepared for anything that may happen,,,,Murphys law is for real.. hilbily
Oh yea,iam not to sure i can stomach earthworms..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I eat a worm in a restaurant in Zim once. Can't rember what they called it. It was black and rather chewy making it difficult to down it. The worms are eaten mainly as bet and a joke/challenge for the tourists. I ate mine at a restaurant in Victoria Falls.
( not to mention worms in booze Big Grin_)

I have heard that porcupines are rather good eating. I haven't tried it myself. hilbily

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to find "Cliff Bars" under most rocks..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Poole
posted Hide Post
its called Mopane Worm

I tried one or two in a restaurant in SA built in an old train car....

Poole

-
Bill Poole
Scottsdale, AZ
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/

Posts: 50 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 08 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Poole:
its called Mopane Worm

I tried one or two in a restaurant in SA built in an old train car....

Poole

that is it--------thanks

mopanes--taste like crap----don't think I will ever eat another one
hilbily

One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
If you want to eat worms just cut open a porcupine. They're full of them.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo
When we use to go in the back country for weeks we would allways have on hand for emergency food if stranded... potted meat & vieannes,sardines/kippers,oysters/crackers & Pork Rinds,jerkey&Tobasco sause& BBQ sause,coldbeer for survival food ...mostly cold bear with wild turkey 101 for snake bite/mosquito -Tickbite emergency hilbily jumping
BBQ & Tabasco sause will make anything ediable clap

Gumboot458.. peanut butter is a goodone,I didnt think of that,thanks thumb

I did live off dehydrated Ramiain noodles soup for a week one time on a island muzzleloader hunt and lost 15 pounds beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had to eat green banana slugs during a E.A.E. exersise one time. Not bad..... IF you..... THINK....CHICKEN!!!!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just read in a trappers magazine, that apparently Natives considered "gophers" [richardson's ground squirrels a delicacy. Maybe we could get them to exercize their treaty rights and help farmers out.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz, I've been giving that a lot of thought lately. I bet they ate more gophers than buffalo. Just send the gals and kids out with snares and load up. You could probably skin them and smash them flat and dry them on a rock in the sun and have a huge pile ready for winter. I just can't bring myself to try the stinky little buggers!