Notify
Tools

Another boot question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Im looking for a high quality ultra light boot

Non insulated that will be used for spot and stalk deer and elk in the Rocky Mountains

I have several pairs of boots from Danner Pronghorns to Irish Setter Elk Trekers

I'm currently looking at Lowa Camino GTX but haven't ruled out Mendle

Thoughts?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with your listed boots. I 've been using Kenetrek windtex boots that weigh 2.6 pounds each for the last 10 seasons.They are made in Italy and cost about $400 & I own 2 pair.My hunting and fishing requires a backpack and these boots are stiff enough to keep my ankles from twisting and can be resoled.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
No longer made though......

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted, Currently I am wearing a pair of light hiking boots from kenetrek. These are one of their new models. They are very comfortable as I've been hiking up and down the hills on my farm; preparing for a Kamchatka bighorn hunt in August. I'm going to try these boots out on this hunt as they are lighter and more comfortable (to me) than their other mountain boots.

Best of Hunting,
Mark Hampton
P.S. I live in Texas County MO.

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, be sure to let us know how the new kenetreks work out for you. I'm thinking of switching brands. Just too much discomfort in my heels that cause blisters in my 400 gram set. On the other hand, my 1000 grams fit like a dream. And let us know how you make out with the sheep!

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, I sure will. The no-insulated model (low top) gives my heels a fit! The high top 400 gram pair is fine. I definitely needed the 1000 gram model last year in Kyrgyzstan; my feet were frozen most of the time!

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Non insulated that will be used for spot and stalk deer and elk in the Rocky Mountains

I have several pairs of boots from Danner Pronghorns to Irish Setter Elk Trekers

Thoughts?

I would also take a look at the SCARPA Kailash, I been testing a pair for my upcoming bear hunt in August, been very impressed.
http://www.scarpa.com/kailash-gtx

If your are needing a boot with more ankle support for pack weight take a look at

http://www.scarpa.com/kinesis-pro-gtx

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Check out the Lowa Z-6N GTX. I just got the 8" model for a trip to Africa and am very impressed so far.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I have worn all of the name brands but right now I am VERY pleased with a pair of the Meindle boots. I will have to get you the model name but they are sold (and co-branded) through Cabelas for $299. The great thing is that since they are marked as "Cabelas by Meindle" they come with Cabelas no fault, try them for a while and if you don't like them bring them back guarantee. I wear mine on my daily training hikes up here and they seem to be exceptional footwear, still looking great after an honest 150 miles so far. P.S. I bought them because they provided me with exceptional ankle support which is a weakness of mine.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seasons44:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Thoughts?

I would also take a look at the SCARPA Kailash, I been testing a pair for my upcoming bear hunt in August, been very impressed.
http://www.scarpa.com/kailash-gtx

If your are needing a boot with more ankle support for pack weight take a look at

http://www.scarpa.com/kinesis-pro-gtx

I've been using a pair of SCARPA Kailash's for a year, fairly heavily, and am impressed.

You're right on the money for needing something else with more ankle support for pack weight though and that's exactly what I'm looking at.

I had a pair of Asolo leather/GoreTex that are plumb worn out after 10 seasons. Excellent boots but a bit heavy.

Check out the Kailash's, great boot for the money.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my first pair of Lowas 14 years. They accompanied me around the world. After their mission I reordered new pair of trekking shoes that I have been using for 4 years now.
Having in mind my first African hunting trip in Namibia I bought Lowas “Uplander Desert” boots. The are surprisingly light and very useful. I trust their products.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted, I would have to agree with JCS271. My wife bought me a pair of Meindl's that are the equivalent of the Perfekt 7 they have now at Cabelas. She just got lucky and found the new discontinued pair in the bargain cave for $170. They fit perfectly from the minute I put them on.

The only thing I would do is put a better set of laces in them. I caught mine on the top hook and broke one.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote