THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    favorite hunting boot for Rockies

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

favorite hunting boot for Rockies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what is your favorite hunting boots for all around hunting in the Rockies for Elk, mulies, and sheep or goat.
I realize that terrain will vary greatly, but what is your favorite and usual hunting boot for typical late fall hunts.
Other threads on equipment and clothing have been educational, so I thought why not a discussion on boots? I know past threads have hit this before, but boot brands and styles change so current info is always helpful. coffee

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I recently upgraded from some basic but serviceable Columbia hikers to Meindl Perfekt Hikers and have to say that I'm very impressed. I've only used them on two major hunts so far, a backpack hunt in the desert mountains for ibex and a tamer series of days hunts in the flatter desert for javelina. They worked great on both hunts. I've put quite a few miles on them already and really like them. It was between them and the Lowas. Since I got to try on the Meindls but would have had to order the Lowas (I've had bad experiences with mail order boots), I went with the Meindls.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Red wings for most elk hunts. I also use vasque for early season or pronghorn hunts.
I find the Redwing boots OK for most stuff but lacking for vary steep terrain or side hilling.
Right now, I am checking out lowas.
My problem is narrow feet. Lot of the beefy well made hikers/mountain boots are to wide on my feet.
the Lowa Banff Pro appears to be available in a narrow ----so my give them a try.

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickshot:
I have been using Red wings for most elk hunts. I also use vasque for early season or pronghorn hunts.
I find the Redwing boots OK for most stuff but lacking for vary steep terrain or side hilling.
Right now, I am checking out lowas.
My problem is narrow feet. Lot of the beefy well made hikers/mountain boots are to wide on my feet.
the Lowa Banff Pro appears to be available in a narrow ----so my give them a try.
Check with schnee in bozeman,mt they have a good hunting boot.I have a pair of Raichle boots I bought in the 1980's that have served me well but the company discontinued their lite hiker line.The boots made in china don't fit me,they're either too narrow or way too wide I've tried ordering american made boots but when I've opened the pkg the label has made in china.I've had lowas but they were way too heavy.While attending a SHOT show in Las Vegas spoke to some boot techs from several companies their advice was to change the bed inserts for improved fit,it worked with some but not all.I prefer vibram lug soles for the best grip and traction.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to hijack. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Kenetrek pack boots? I've been eyeing the 13" cowboy model for winter time riding. They are made in Thailand, but I don't know if any boots aren't these days. Smiler

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
how dose anyone feel about Bates mil-spc boots?

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
Don't mean to hijack. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Kenetrek pack boots? I've been eyeing the 13" cowboy model for winter time riding. They are made in Thailand, but I don't know if any boots aren't these days. Smiler

Daniel, I was interested in some Kenetreks until they told me that most of them were made in Asia. I try to avoid that if I can. At least the Meindls are made in Germany, and as Vince with ShamWow says, "Those Germans make good stuff!" Big Grin

They look like decent boots, though they seem to be a bit high-priced. I think the Schnee's are made in the US and cost about the same. For what you're looking for, you might also check out White's boots. I've heard good things about them, though I've never owned a pair myself.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
DesertRam,
Thanks for the tips. I checked out the Schnee boots and they do have a very similar boot for about $30 less. I may well give them a try.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pick the current top of the line Sportiva and you'll be very happy.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in Lowa Sheep Hunter GTXs. Best boot I've ever worn bar none. They remind me of current downhill ski boots; nice flex fore and aft while awfully stiff torsionally.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several different boots that I wear depending on where i'm hunting. I have a pair of Lowa hiking boots with gortex liners that are very comfortable in early to mid fall, I also have a few pair of Danner boots and really like them. The Ft Lewis boot is very comfortable and I also have the Frontier Extreme with 600grams of fill for the winter hunting. My Danners have lasted years and still work well.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got done struggling with almost the same question. After trying several different kinds of boots on I ended up with the LaSportiva Nepal EVO GTX. It is a bombproof mountaineering boot with a very stiff sole and lots of ankle support. I have not hunted with it yet but my training hikes (5+miles w/60lb pack) have been amazingly comfortable. Especially in the steep stuff. Some disadvantages are that it is lightly insulated, expensive, and probably not as much a "multi use" boot than a Sheep/Goat boot. But... They are the most comfortable things I have ever had the pleasure to hike in.

I would also recommend the Lowa Sheep Hunter if you are looking for a taller boot.

In the end, try on as many boots as you can. Fit is the most important thing. This may take some time (6 mo. for me) but be patient. It is worth it.
Also, no matter what boot you get a good set of insoles is worth it. Companies like Superfeet make good ones.

Good luck!!

Posts: 30 | Location: SE Alaska | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mostly I just wear the same old broken in Wolverine Durashock workboots that I wear every day. Why quarrel with comfort and success????

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
Kenetreks are great boots. Not sure about the pack boots but the hikers are my favorite boot. I have the Hardscrabble and I have yet to find a better boot. Much lighter weight than similar quality boots. THey are stiff and supportive but not as heavy as the Hanwags, Lowas or Meindls. They are made in Italy not Asia but the packs may be made in Asia.
Lee

Lee Britt

Posts: 51 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: 02 August 2008Reply With Quote