New
Find
Notify
Tools

bear proof?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking about bringing in some gear and grub to the back country, so I can hike in quickly when the season is underway. Is there any way to "stash" equipment in the bush that is 100% bear proof? I don't want to build an elevated platform because I don't want other hikers to find my gear. Any heavy box ie:steel is too heavy, anything made of wood or plastic is sure to become bear bait.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
REI sells a couple of different plastic containers that are billed as bear proof. I doubt they're waterproof enough to bury, though you may be able to stash them in a cairn of rocks.

In the grand canyon they use old ammo boxes (steel) at the camp sites. I suppose you could cut up some aluminium gas cylinders or maybe a propane tank or something similar and put hinges and a latch on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Find an industrial supplier that carries hazardous waste barrels....plastic, metal locking ring lid w/a rubber seal, waterproof, come in all kinds of sizes, durable, and relatively light weight....been using the same ones for a number of years now....a bear might bat one around but hasn't gotten in one yet....

The one in the picture contains an entire spike camp.....had to be rigged w/rope to the pack....left straps on Supercub.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
If you go the "plastic" route watch out for the porcupines. They will chew holes in the container and it will no longer be waterproof! We once had a porcupine chew holes in all 3 tires of a three-wheeler and ate the entire seat.

I hate porcupines mgun

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tt,

We've had a regular, screw type container that the porkies chewed a hole in but these HW barrels are just too tough(so far). We put really expensive gear in them....we trust them.

We don't have the sabre tooth variety you guys in BC have either! The picture's for you. Smiler He walked right through the tipi....both doors were open.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote