New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain camo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First of all I have never hunted mountain game, goats, sheep, etc. I am curious what type of camo do you guys wear? I never see any listed other than typical deer,turkey, waterfowl types.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the ASATs and Enigma patterns for its ability to break-up my silhouette against rocks and low ground cover. I've also used Natural Gear for lower elevations with scrub brush & I use an all white & Skyline for snow. I think the new military digital pattern should be good when it becomes available.

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's Outfitter's Camo, on any number of products from Microtex, Wind Shear to Berber Fleece and Pile, is a good nonspecific pattern that effectively breaks up your outline and fits in with any number of backgrounds well. I also believe the Natural Gear is good in its different color variations and the snow cover rendition for the white stuff...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up until my wife bought me a new set of hunting clothes last year I never wore any camo. I can't think of a time when I missed out on an animal because I didn't have camo on. You will get some good suggestions here, but I wouldn't obsess over it.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Preditor is one of those camo patterns that does not look like much in the store but blends in quite well in the field. Comes in several "base" colors as well.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't put much emphasis on camo for mountain hunting. I use camo for hunting in the timber (elk, deer, turkey, etc), so I hame some in my closet. I only wear it mountian hunting if it is convenient (ie. the right weight jacket for the trip happens to be camo, or if my camo shirts or t-shirts happen to be clean, etc).

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jnd
posted Hide Post

Posts: 73 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you are analyzing it too much. Focus on your shooting skills and most importantly be in shape. Save any moeny you wpuld have put towards camo and use it for socks and good boots that feel comfortable on your feet.

Out of everyting to worry about in a hunt, I would say camo comes in dead last. Wear dull earth tones or any type of camo-it does not matter. Just be sure nothing shines or flashes when you are in the sun.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any combo of gray, black with some type of green would work well.
Like a gray and black jacket with green pants would work well.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Staying out of sight is the best camo I know of.......

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my sheep wearing a plain green shirt and a pair of light greenish hiking pants. That said, I like this one:

sitkagear

Called moutain mimicry. Grey and darker grey. Feels like shale to me. A bold pattern so it shouldn't look like a dark blob from afar.

But I agree with what others said: camo is the least of my concerns, I wear what is comfortable and fits the weather conditions.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I would like to say that the Cabela's microtex shirt in Outfitter camo is one of the best hunting shirts ever made.

For rain in Alaska, there is nothing really better than a Helly Hensen raincoat.

However, I would think that as open as the mountains are and as good as sheep eyesight is supposed to be, that camo is really not all that important so long as you don't look like a dark blob. It does make you feel a little better though - just not dark. Think grey, tans, and olive green for fading into the rock. A Tivek jacket might be good if you get into snow.

As far a tundra in September, you might be able to get away with a bright yellow slicker. Razzer

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David:
One question - Are you playing "Rambo" or going hunting? I never wear camo and my attitude is that it's the "wannabe's" that do. When I go hunting, it's a fleece shirt with maybe a Woolrich salt & pepper wool shirt. I also like vests & wear them quite a bit. It's layers that I strive for. Never had a problem yet on getting up on an animal if I wanted to.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote