Find
Notify
Tools

The Ultimate Sheep Rifle
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Kimber Montana or similar rifle in 260, 7-08, 25-06 or 270. A friend of mine uses a Sako 375 Handi rifle (20" bbl). His last ram was taken at 400+ yards. You're going to be carrying it more than shooting it. Any light rifle with a cartridge that gives you confidence will serve you well. Lou

when i was a young man i wanted a 300 weatheby
but as i got older i found out like DOC.LOU
you carry it more than you shoot it so get a light one like a 270 win it doest matter what cal you use what bullet what wt what range you
shoot and all the other verables you have
it is impossable to kill them pass dead that
is as far as you can go

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The question I have is why would you shoot an ultra mag instead of a short mag? For lack of a better way of saying it - it's just a sheep.

this is my reason:

short mags are ugly, and since mankind have managed to make actions who can accomodate cartridges longer then 2.85", why put such a limitations on your self.

and besides, nothing is like opening a box of new, long, shiny and supersexy .300Wby cartridges.
put 3 in the magazine, one in the chamber and close the big fluted bolt on your smooth MkV.
when i then light a marlboro and go hunting, i'm in heaven.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My sheep and goat rifle is a Winchester M70 Classic Stainless with a PACNOR featherweight profile barrel in a McMillan Edge Featherweight stock with Williams 1 pc bottom metal. Weighs about 7 1/2 lbs. 30.06

I use almost that exact formula as well.

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Too bad Mountain Rifles Inc and Dana Campbell are gone. I think he had the right formulas on mountain rifles.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would have bought one myself and he would have been just down the road from me. Quite a pity about all that happened.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen-9.3:

put 3 in the magazine, one in the chamber and close the big fluted bolt on your smooth MkV.
when i then light a marlboro and go hunting, i'm in heaven.

LOL

I think I found a local .257 Weatherby that may follow me home after work tomorrow

We shall see!

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Bugle,

What model is it?

I am thinking about building a custom 257 on a Mark V with a 26 inch Lilja #4 fluted and a Bansner stock.

I had a sub-moa Vanguard and it was awesome. I would have kept it but I ended up "needing" another gun.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
D99 - It is the stainless model Sub Moa. The gun store wouldn't give me as much as I want for the Remington 700 I was trying to trade for it, so I guess I must sell my gun before I can head back and get it, or order one of those nice ultra-light weights Smiler

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I would buy the Sub-Moa, the one I had shot 1/2 inch 5 shot groups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stiller Predator (custom Remington clone), McMillan Hunter EDGE stock, Jewel trigger, 23' Lilja #2 contour barrel, muzzle break. Topped w/Leupold 2.5-8 w/B&C reticle and talley one piece lightweight rings. 300WSM. 6lb 15oz. w/scope,rings, etc. Only wish I would have used a Remington Titanium action instead of the Stiller action (doesn't feed properly). This is truely a sub 1/2 MOA gun.

Posts: 34 | Location: Kenai, AK | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Weatherby Ultralight that I am thinking of selling.I believe it weighs 5.5 lbs in 270 Win.In as NIB condition if anyone is interested.I think this would make a great sheep rifle.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've thought this through for years. My choice is a custom European single shot kipplaufbuchse.
Mine was built by Alois Myar in Mittenwald Bavaria.
They are light weight, accurate and compact. also you can take it down and carry it inside your pack to protect it from falls and the weather.

Custom guns like mine or any of the ones made in Ferlach are quite pricey but the Blaser k95 as mentioned by N.E.450#2 or the Merkel K1 are for all perposes as good for 1/4 the price.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rsm458Lott:
I have a Weatherby Ultralight that I am thinking of selling.I believe it weighs 5.5 lbs in 270 Win.In as NIB condition if anyone is interested.I think this would make a great sheep rifle.

Is that the blue one or the tan one?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because sheep occupy country often inhabitated by larger, more onery critters, mine is a .300 win mag, built by MG Arms, on a Rem action with a Jewel trigger and a 3.5 to 10 Luppie. 5.75 lbs loaded.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice EB !!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
EB,

How do you get down to 5.75 pounds loaded? I have a custom action that weighs the same as the Remington, a McMillan EDGE stock that's about as light as you can get, and a 23" #2 contour barrel, Leupold 2.5-8 on Talley lightweight rings, and still come in at 6lb 15 oz.. I don't see where I could shave 1 lb off of that without going to a Titanium action, carbon wrapped barrel, and a short one at that. What components did you use?

Posts: 34 | Location: Kenai, AK | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Maybe a 20" barrel?

posted Hide Post
if you are talking about that .308 you just bought i think it will be ok, but id watch out for your longer ranges. my bro shot his elk at 345 yds with his and he has a 22 in. you might want to look at the velocity differnce along with bullet drop.

"In a wold of compramise, some men don't"

Posts: 16 | Location: Midland Texas | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Remington 700 Custom KS Mountain Rifle (Stainless) in 7 RM, scoped with a Kahles 3-9x42 ... light & accurate as much as I would ever desire Cool Big Grin

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Afrikaander:
Mine is a Remington 700 Custom KS Mountain Rifle (Stainless) in 7 RM, scoped with a Kahles 3-9x42 ... light & accurate as much as I would ever desire Cool Big Grin

Thou I have to admit I haven't taken many sheep yet, mainly red deers in the Patagonia (Andes mountains), goats, axis, cervicapras and ... a couple of sheep !

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
I use a 7 mm STW made by Rifles Inc. Cedar City, Utah.

Sometimes I have used a 7 mm Mag, both with excellent results.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
AZIZ What planet did you kill that creature on??

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animal Aziz !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well i guess i can weigh in.

Mine is a rem 700 titanium in 7-08 with a leupold compact 3-9 scope comes in under 6.5 pounds with the sling.

All ive done with it is free float the barrel and it will drive the 130 grain speers into under 1/2" from the bench at 100.

Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
This morning while cramming my Wildcat Cartridges my perfect (and last) sheep rifle was hatched. I have a pre-war mod 70 that been ackley imp thereby rendering it unpure as so. I've been lusting for a 6.5 or 264 for 25 yrs so a 6.5 STW project will be starting soon. 140 NP @ 3400fps sound pretty flat and powerfull to me.
Does anyone have 1 and are you happy with the performance and velocities?
Thanks Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
The sheep is a Blanford's urial, I hunted a couple of years ago in Dureji Game Management Area, Pakistan.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Brown Precision with Remington 700 action, Shilen barrel, Conetrol scope mounts and fixed 6X Zeiss Scope. It's chambered for 300 Win. Mag. The rifle was built in 1982 and has been on too many sheep hunts to count. It shoots much better than I do and is a joy to carry at less than 7 pounds fully loaded. I've used it as a crutch, plus fallen down mountains twice with it. I've sent the rifle back twice for repair and the scope once.
This gun has more character marks than I have scares and I'm as comfortable with it as I am my wife (BTY she bought it for me).

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
a 270 win in a Kimber montana. Is what I think would be ideal.

I have taken 338 ruger m77, colt ar-15, and a win pre-64 308 featherweight sheep hunting. Shot sheep with the 338 and the 308.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my money lighter is better to a point. Also because often a moose or caribou or bear is involved my sheep rifle currently is a Kimber Montana in 7 WSM. Leupold 2.5x8 in extra low leoplod rings on Kimber bases. Shooting 154 Hornaday interbonds just under 3100fps. Before I got so old and "wealthy" i used a ruger 77 in 270 Winchester and was very adequately armed.

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I am thinking that now that Kimber is offering their Montana in a .257 Bob, that will be my new sheep rifle. I don't really have a current sheep rifle, but I have hiked many a mountain while at work with a redmax drill and pick in hand to within 50 yds of Bighorn sheep. I figure I should be able to pack anything I have currently in my arsenal including my Model 70 Ultimate Shadow in 270wsm to where ever I need to be. I just need an excuse to buy both a Kimber and a .257 Bob.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been fortunate to take two bighorns with my .280 Remington with 140 Noslers; the first at 250 yards and the second at 512 yards.I have also missed two great rams. I am currently building a custom that will be my new #1, it is a 8lb 300 RUM.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Just about any rifle can be a good sheep rifle, but ultimately the 270 WSM is the true sheep caliber (IMO)

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is as follows:
Custom made by Jim Kobe
Rem 700 stainless trued action
Mcmillian Edge srock
Shilen 24" very light contour (think a #2)
Leupold 3.5-10X in standard Leupold rings/bases
Chambered in 270WSM

First sheep hunt is this August in the NWT.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Mauser Model 3000 LH, 26" bbl, in 7mm Rem Mag, 3x9 Luppy Vari X-2. Cold barrel will group 3 shots into 1/2 moa or less. The only rifle I have taken 500 yd shots with. I trust it completely and that is what is required for something of this nature.

Don

Posts: 14 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 02 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby Ultralight .270, w/ Swaro 3x9. Just a bit over 6.5 lbs.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toss up between these two:

Cheap:
Tikka T3 Lite in .270 WSM with 3-9x Elite 3200

Not so cheap:
Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 7mm WBY with 2.5-10x Elite 4200

I don't feel so bad kicking the snot out of the Tikka though! Smiler

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote