New
Find
Notify
Tools

cross canyon recovery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Often, to recover an animal across a canyon,as I´m sure you all know, one sometimes has to abseil down the side you´re on,acsend the side
the animal is on , then do the same on the return with an animal on your back.
two questions:
1.I dont shoot for skins and horns.I leave what I dont want and carry the meat out in bin bags.
is there a law that insists you carry out the ``trophy´´ first,then the meat?
2. I like to leave most of my gear on the shooting side and take on recovery only what I need in terms of climbing gear,a knife and a handgun. Is there a law against the handgun?

Posts: 205 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 07 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
boet....those are rather broad questions, but since I think you are moving to BC.......

Handguns are illegal to use in Canada, all of Canada, for hunting.........period. Sad, but true.

The laws differ from state to state in the US and province to province in Canada, but most have some restrictions that require certain parts of animals to retained for species and sex identification. BC and Alberta have lots of regualtions that require you to pack out the antlers, horns, skulls, hides, etc of certain species and leave evicence of sex and species attached to the carcass....etc. etc. Many animals have to be produced for a Compulsory Inspection Program....sheep horns have to be plugged, etc.

It is way too complex to go into detail because of the variety of species and regulations from province to province. If you narrow it down a bit it would be much easier for someone to give you a more definitive answer.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have stated BC. I suppose I could be positive
and say not being allowed a handgun means one less thing
to carry....just cant see logic in greanie thinking....to think
that fascism..... well let me rather shut up

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
boet.............my friend there is no logic with regards to not being allowed to pack a handgun while hunting. It is just that the average Canadian has been brainwashed for decades that handguns are bad and people should not have them. Most of us hunters and shooters agree with you.........although even a few hunters do not seem to be able to think for themselves these days and buy in to the politically correct mindset.

I thought you had mentioned in another thread that you were going to BC.......briefly, in a nut shell, you will be required to bring out the antlers in most instances to show that you shot a 4 point mulie, a legal trophy caribou, a legal bull elk, etc., their are exceptions for deer in some seasons etc, but generally plan on bringing out the antlers.

Horns always.....with skull attached. (Sheep and goats, lower jaw on goats as well)

Grizzly, black bear, cougar, etc. hide has to be salvaged and skull retained with the grizzly and cougar.

All edible meat has to be packed out of the bush, with the exception of grizzly and cougar....note that it includes black bear.
And, evidence of sex (a portion of the penis, teat, testicle) has to be left attached to the carcass as well as a bit skin with hair for species identification.

All mountain sheep, mountain goat, cougar, grizzly bear, caribou and elk from Regions 2, 8 and some MU's in Region 7. That means you have to take the animal and have it inspected at a regional office so that they can take measurements, samples,etc.

BC has the most complex hunting regulations in Canada, bar none. You should contact the wildlife branch and have them send you a copy of the regs so that you can bone up on it. I have only glossed over the surface of it as there are also numerous 'Regional' requirements that may be in additional to some of the province wide requirements.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyline
Thanks for the help. And for the record,I´m all for rules if they´re for a good reason. Its just that circle of life thing...
y know ....when you walk so far left ,that you end up far right ie zero tolerance.
Anyway, everything you mentioned seems to be intended to help with conservation exept the handgun thing.
Once I´ve decided what to do with my redhawk, I´ll start thinking about those beautiful mountains of yours....damm I´ve started allready....I need to figure out a way to stop a rifle slapping around while I´m working a rockface and still have quick access to it. Any ideas?

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
boet...........I didn't mean that the BC regulations were a pain in the rear or that I am against them, just that they are complex. It comes from having a huge province, with varied terrain and the largest number of huntable big game species found anywhere in North America. Not to mention an ever increasing population, lots of urban living hunters and new access being created by oil/gas, logging, mining ....every year. It is a tough haul for the wildlife boys.

If you want to talk more about this stuff just e-mail me or send a PM so as not to clutter the forum.

Cheers!