New
Find
Notify
Tools

Day packs - again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Late last fall I got all fired up and went loking for a solid day-pack to use for rifle/bow hunting here in the Midwest and also for a trip next fall out to Idaho for elk. I bought a Badlands 2200.

I did not get a chance to use it until this fall, and I have found it to be way too much pack for what I really need. So... looks like I am going to take advantage of the unconditional warranty and return it to the dealer and find another Badlands pack more suitable to what I really need, which is a large daypack I can take along when I head out for a day that will have enough capacity to pack gear out for day-trips with a giude in the mountains of Idaho or other western state. Any one have experience with their Superday, Ultraday or Diablo packs?

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
kifaru.net

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bison gear

http://www.bisongearonline.com/page/page/2957668.htm

I have the Lost River and has worked well for me. A neat feature is the game bag that attaches to the shoulder harness.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Epilogue: called Badlands and explained the situation and was told that I could return the 2200 and exchange it for any other pack I wanted. That warranty makes this decision a lot easier in terms of getting a new pack. Now I just have to decide which one, which will probably be the SuperDay.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made the same mistake. Bought the 2200 and really did not like the pack at all. Bought the Superday and am very happy with it. I added a camebak waater bladder and it is good to go. You won't be disappointed.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 2200. Seems like a pretty decent pack so far. Wanted something that would be skookum enough for packing out game, overnighters, etc. My other "day pack" is too small and flimsy, and my expedition pack is too big (and my external frame pack is too noisy).

Haven't given the 2200 a work out yet, but am optimistic. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also own several packs from the best I have ever seen personally for the money that being a Dana Designs Longbed 6500 to several smaller packs. What I have been trying to find is a pack that can stay small for easy movement while stalking then once the animal is down handel the job of packing out the first load untill I can retreve my Longbed.

I had looked a J104s and other packs by them, but I could not get a first hand look at one, and more than one hard core hunter I know used them and was disapointed in the pack he got for his $$$. Thay said thay were good packs but for $300 thay expected more.

Mystery Ranch now makes what seems is the answer to my problem thay offer a new pack built around the N.I.C.E frame system and it will calapse down to 1900 sq" but will expand up to 5000 sq" and will handel as heavy a load as you can stand. Based on my experience with my Longbed and hauling out three elk with it, Im sure the MR pack will be if anything better.

It will 99% be my next and hopefully last pack purchase.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hacklebackmor:
Bison gear

http://www.bisongearonline.com/page/page/2957668.htm

I have the Lost River and has worked well for me. A neat feature is the game bag that attaches to the shoulder harness.

thumb same here I also added pockets inside so gear didn't go to the bottom. 4 seasons after buying this expensive pack the $200+ price is getting easier to swallow it is better today than 4 years ago.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a backpack addict. I have more packs than any one person should own. Finally after many years of searching, I found the perfect pack. The Camelbak Ambush.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/sta...cat601143&hasJS=true

It holds up to 3 liters of water with 180 cu in of space left over which is more than enough for mini first aid kit, lunch, knives, etc... I love it!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh yeah, no way your going to pack an animal out with the Ambush!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
For a great day pack that can also haul out your trophy I would recommend the "HARD CORE HUNT PACK"
I have been using one for 3 years, and can say that it is the best pack I have ever owned.

www.hardcorehuntpack.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote