Find
Notify
Tools

Tarptent?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Though I only dabble in backpack hunting, I've been on the lookout for a nice reasonably priced lightweight tent to add to my slowly growing arsenal of backpack gear. An outfit by the name of Tarptent was recently recommended to me. I'm wondering if any of you more experienced back country hunters have any direct experience with them. Any input would be most appreciated.

Here's their product page:
Tarptent products

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm comparing the Tarptent 'Moment' to my Hilleberg 'Akto'.

At first I was quite impressed with the 'Moment', but then I got to look at it a little closer.

Very light weight, reasonably priced,....but no floor and and no vestibule/outer tent.

I wouldn't want a 'Moment' for serious all season Colorado use.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just browsing thru their stuff it looks very very intriguing

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a tarptent that a feller could put a little fire in front of. The rainbow model looks like it would fit the bill quite well. Many companies make these of silcoat nylon and are extremely combustable Eeker so it's wise to check that out although it looks like the tarptents are just regualr nylon.

I've spent a few nights sleeping in front of a fire under a nylon fly and it's a cosy way to sleep, if it's not raining.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offence intended here, but, I would NEVER have an open fire anywhere close to a silnylon anything . I do have and recommend a Kifaru tipi-stove combo and one can also buy these from TitaniumGoat, in Utah.

TG will sell you a "stove jack" that will allow you to put one of their stoves or a Kifaru or a homemade version into something like a GoLite ShangriLa or perhaps a BD Megamid. This is the least costly way of obtaining a backpackable wood heated shelter.

Silnylon is VERY, VERY prone to burning...a word to the wise.....

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you guys are talking about packing wood burning tent stoves .....is that "back pack hunting"?

Not trying to start a pissing contest..... just asking.

TIA!

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I was specifically referred to the Hogback. Sleeps four, shelters four packs, and weighs four pounds. Seems like an alright deal, but I'm probably missing something. What is it?

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Thanks guys. I was specifically referred to the Hogback. Sleeps four, shelters four packs, and weighs four pounds. Seems like an alright deal, but I'm probably missing something. What is it?

It looks pretty nice. Kind of like a giant Hilleberg Akto.

Double-wall with a floor and double entrance.

I see it's not free-standing.

No vents on the ends. One up top. They say it has good ventilation. You'll find out if it does when you have 4 people breathing inside the tent during a cold damp/rainy night.

It's really light for its' size. Makes me wonder if that light material would be very tear/abrasion resistant. I'm pretty sure it's syn-nylon material.

The price is right.

The best thing would be to talk to someone who actually has used one for a while. But being a reletively new tent, it's going to be hard to get that kind of firsthand info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the wood burning stoves point, these are very light and "takedown" into small bundles. With the appropriate shelter in the kind of harsh climate we experience in BC and other northern and western Canadian hunting regions, they can be a lifesaver.

My base camp is a Kifaru 8-man tipi, liner, bugnet, large stove plus a Hilleberg Saivo and XP20 tarp with both an Optimus Nova and a Brunton Crux stove plus a couple of butane lanterns and candle lanterns. This can be flown in, jetboated or horsepacked and it CAN be "relay" backpacked as well.

When you are in deep wilderness and it is pounding sleet and snow for days on end, a camp like this will make the difference between bare survival-misery and enjoyable experience. Costly, yes, but, serious backpack and wilderness hunting is not for everyone and it is still less pricey than having a "guide" find you a "trophy" that an "outfitter" pre-spotted from an aircraft....in short, it is actual hunting.........

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kootenay you should reread my post where I specifically said that siltarp is very flammable. I've not used it near a fire nor would I. I said I enjoy spending evenings under a tarp-nylon not sil tarp. What I want is an open sided tent that will repel rain but that I can have a fire in front of. Sadly I haven't found rire resistant nylon and so haven't bought a lightweight tent for such activities, and my yurt is a little heavy for packing in.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent much of my working life as a professional in forest fire management and this accounts for my very cautious approach. Given a "little bit" of wilderness backpack experience, I can tell you where to go to obtain what you want and in Alberta's relatively dry climate, this will work like mustard on hot dogs.

Coogle "Reliable Canvas" or "tent" and look for a "Baker" or "Whelen" tent made from their lightest material. Heap damm good, sit beside fire, warmum ass!

I just checked that and they no longer have what I remember from some time ago, so, check out "Empire Canvas" and Google "Whelen Tents", which is what you require in a "sailsilk".