Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep hunt report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, wonderful story and quite the hunt, this seems your best one yet. Sorry you did not get a ram, but, that's hunting, eh!

That is a REALLY nice Grizzly and very typical of those found where I grew up. I hate to think of what that will cost to mount, but, it IS a real trophy and one to be proud of.

Damn tough going on those sidehills covered with boulders, eh, even when you live in mountain country and do this regularly, it is a harsh day's work!

I am kinda surprised at your guide's Asolos failing,these have been a dang good boot in past years and are very popular here. I see your I.D. jacket and Silwing worked perfectly, guess at least some of my advice helped a little.

I have the "Thru-Hiker" and a "pullover" in eVENT and I LOVE that pullover worn over merino wool and, when really cold, my I.D. Rundle jacket....they make great gear!

I just "might" have some pretty solid info. on a Stone's ram for you here in B.C.....big bux, but, if interested, a few locals in northern B.C have mailed me a lot of maps and info. and I am happy to help a gentleman, like you, if interested...and your "Southern Belle" can handle the horrific cost of Stone's hunting! Smiler

Good on ya, bud, there will be a ram, next time.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Dewey,
Thanks so much for the kind words, I'll have to get up to BC with enough time to meet up.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Don, sorry to hear that you didn't get your ram but your nice grizzly had to ease the pain a little. Regardless, sounds like a true adventure. Just think, when you're an old man with your grandkids on your lap this may be your most memorable hunt and best fireside story of them all.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
Don, some sheep hunts go that way, your grizzly is verry nice.I suspect you seen some unblievable country. on my 1st grizzly hunt by day 8 I had already thaught the bear didnt really matter because of all the country I had seen although day 9 fixed the bear sitings with a8.5 footer so rember iys not over till is over good luck in future.

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote