New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another GPS question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have anything NEGATIVE to say about either the Garmin 60Cx or 60 CSx unit?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not me. I have never had any problems with them.

Posts: 42 | Location: Potter County Pa. | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 60 CSx and am quite happy with it. Nothing negative that I could add.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I don't like about mine is that it seems to not have very much memory available for my tracks. I just get a pretty good track going and then it starts deleting the oldest parts. I haven't spent any time looking through the manual to see if I can dedicate more memory for this feature. I really like this GPS, that is my only complaint, but I don't doubt I just have to change a setting.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I have used my GPS 60 Cx on my motorcycle for a couple years now. Even in driving rainstorms, never had any problems. I have both Topo and Street & maps micro SDs for my unit. Vehicle routing is good with streets and maps. I like the topos for traveling the forest service roads around here.

Only thing I don't like is I was not smart enough to buy a 2nd one when they were cheaper!

I also have all the aircraft I manage equipped with both Garmin in panel mounted GPS navigation/communication systems. We are also equipped with Garmin aviation hand helds (GPS Map 196). These were the first aviation hand helds that would work with the GIS programming we use for wildlife research. Also work well in the law enforcement and S&R role.

The panel mounted nav systems and the hand helds have been bullet proof for many years now. I've avoided upgrading the hand helds to newer models because we'd lose the capability to power them with AA batteries. (Newer models all have internal batteries for use when 12 volt not available). Garmin no longer makes them, however we've been able to get some factory refurbished models at a very reasonable price when 2 of our units had issues.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
The only thing I don't like about mine is that it seems to not have very much memory available for my tracks. I just get a pretty good track going and then it starts deleting the oldest parts. I haven't spent any time looking through the manual to see if I can dedicate more memory for this feature. I really like this GPS, that is my only complaint, but I don't doubt I just have to change a setting.

Just found this thread. I have a Garmin 60 Csx and like everything about the limitation on track points. 10,000 just isn't enough for a few long river trips and it is not possible to store these and retrieve them in the field on an sd card. I don't know if any of the newer ones are any better.

Posts: 24 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooper325:
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:

Just found this thread. I have a Garmin 60 Csx and like everything about the limitation on track points. 10,000 just isn't enough for a few long river trips and it is not possible to store these and retrieve them in the field on an sd card. I don't know if any of the newer ones are any better.

Go into the "TRACK" menu and set the record method to 'Distance' and set to 25 meters or more.

Then go into the Data Card Setup in the same menu and set it to save the track to the SD card for future use so you won;t lose data when it 'wraps around' and deletes the oldest data.

That is enough precision to work with and will give a whole lot more room than the default setting.