Find
Notify
Tools

Boots for the jungle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted
I am leaving for a backpac hunt in the cameroon rainforest and would like to know your suggestions on jungle boots. I have read that the old us army jungle boots used to be the best but nowadays they have dropped the standarts due to costs. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can still find quality GI style jungle boots if you look around, they would likely be ideal.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I went through this same process last year for Zambesi Delta hunt. What I ended up with is British Altberg jungle boots. They kept every good feature from the years of the GI boot, and drove the quality up. I'd describe them as jungle boots on steroids.

It didn't matter if I was in water up to my nuts, in mud, or found some dry ground to hang out on I always felt I had the best boots in camp. Hell, I wear them around town now, they are the most comfortable boot I ever owned. Mine have the Panama sole, but if your needs are more to dry ground or weight bearing application there is a ground grip available.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/produ...ngle-panama-classic/

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwarf416:
I am leaving for a backpac hunt in the cameroon rainforest and would like to know your suggestions on jungle boots. I have read that the old us army jungle boots used to be the best but nowadays they have dropped the standarts due to costs. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

I wasn't able to find the original US jungle/Vietnam boots. All you get here is low quality replicas.
I then started to use Palladium pampas canvas boots plus gaiters. They are cheap and light. They dry withing a few hours if put close to the fire. It it just about impossible to dry normal boots in a flycamp. I carried two pairs of these boots and found it to be a good combination.
Used these boots on 3rainforest hunts and a Mozambique swamp hunt.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...look at the Rocky C-4 trainer from MilitaryGear.com Their prices are reasonable, and the shipping is free on the boots.

I've worn a lot of various brands of hiking/walking boots and these are the best by far, INMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have a pair that I brought back new from Vietnam, they still work and I use them now and then. They're good boots. There are NOS originals on FleaBay pretty often.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote