Notify
Tools

Kifaru Meat Baggie
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried one of these?
https://www.kifaru.net/meatbag.html

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but, I have bought about 5K worth of their gear since 2005 and some is good while other makers offer similar items I prefer. The ID pack liners I posted on will do what this will and come in two sizes.

What Kifaru DOES have is the "long universal" top strap to go around your MR waistbelt and it accepts the Kifaru COMBAT Gunbearer bottom. This with an Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling on your thunderstick plus a topstrap from "GunCorral" in Oregon is THE best method of carrying a heavy rifle in the mountains that I have ever found and all my packs are so equipped.

Kifaru hoodies and T's are about the best I have used and mine are four years old and going strong.

Their tipis, with mossy netting, liner and stove are PRICEY, especially delivered here in Canada, but, this is a brilliant system and it WORKS just as they say it does. Actually, I can't imagine a better shelter for "the Eastern Slopes" and recommend getting an 8-man or even 12-man for you, the CEO and the little one.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the meat bags for maybe 6 seasons. I hunt in the hell that is central Idaho. I use them to pack out boned out game then wash them when I get home. No problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
are the bags nylon??

thanks

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know. Best to ask kifaru.

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of my Kifaru EMR pack with the Gunbearer rig. I just put my Gunbearer on last night and whent out and did a two mile loop through the desert with it this morning with my brother. This pack and the Gunbearer are great! It was much easyer to keep my balance when sliding down some of the broken granite hill sides.

I have some of the meat bags but have not used them yet. I hope to fill them with Mountain Goat this September.

I am trying to knock 10 to 15 lbs off my but so I can carry more useful load and less bagage.

http://i111.photobucket.com/al...wjbarks/IMG_1290.jpg

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you noticed that knocking that weight off your gut 'n'butt, is MUCH harder than finding a way to lighten your pack load????? Smiler

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey 458 & Dewey,

I read where Dewey had some good things to say about the Gunbearer rig too (I think he was talking about the military version).

Anyway, what I'm curious about is having your rifle in front of your shoulder. Did you find it to be in the way? It looks like the advantage is to have access to your rifle without taking your pack off.

Dewey, I tried to see what the "Combat" version looks like on the Kifaru site and the link doesn't work. Is it basically what 458 has there?

Thanks men.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
This is the "combat version" they make another one that mounts the weapon to the side of the pack but it is slow to gain access. This rig is lightning fast to mount the rifle! With a little practice I know it would be even faster. I found myself instinctively shadowing my rifle with my right arm. I was subconsciously thinking the buckle might come loose. It never did.
I love Arizona, but on disadvantage is when our overnight low is 94+ It is hard to get out and put the miles on to get in shape before hunting season. You have to drive 1.5-2 hours to get reasonable cool. This morning was not bad. We were hiking at about 2800 ft/ASL and at 04:20 it was only 76 deg F when we hit the trail, but it was a 45 min drive to get there. The other thing is you spend a lot of time looking at the trail. You get to share the desert with these guys, two in two days.
[URL= ]
[URL= ]

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote